The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone :)

Just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding comfortable shoes please??

I normally buy from 'pavers' or 'clarks' but recently I have bought 3 pairs of boots/shoes that have not been suitable once I've worn them a few times & I do choose very carefully,I try on every pair in the shop! :eek: the shop assistants will ban me soon :hehe:

Think it's due to my feet not settling down since this last flare,I have a couple of twisted toes & a few lumps on the balls of my feet which look & feel like 'marbles'.I can't stand on my bare feet for longer than 5 minutes in the shower.sorry,I'm not complaining I know it could be a lot worse but it's become stressful buying shoes & not to mention expensive! :eek:

I am going to paris 2 weeks today so I desperately need comfy boots/shoes before then or there won't be much sightseeing for me :sad:
any advice would be appreciated :)

many thanks..karen x :love2:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Karen,I don't know if you have a branch of Peter Briggs Shoe shops anywhere near. I have found them very helpful. They won't care how much you try on and will order shoes in your size.

I am only a size 3 so sometimes find School type shoes fill the bill. Like you I have to be comfortable. Deck shoes may also be a thought. No dressy shoes for me!
x Lola

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi,

I rececently bought a pair of Crocs (the ones with the fluffy inners), they are very comfortably and I can just slip them on! I would not consider them as smart shoes but they are very comfy. They keep my feet warm too!

Enjoy Paris!

Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I have this problem too as any time I'm flaring worse than usual my feet are excrutiatingly painful.

I too have a pair of crocs (or similar brand) but only wear them in the house. I must say that they saved me during my last bad patch.

For outside the best I could do was very comfy trainers, or a pair of light (modern type, goretex) walking boots. I still found they weren't good enough when my feet are really bad and I would still love to find the solution to this one as I love walking but just can't much anymore.

My hubby also has to go to a lot of trade fairs and those concrete floors are sheer torture for me :lol:

Katharine

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Karen

Ive found that fly flots are great for my bad feet and they dont feel like Im wearing any shoes (great!!). I have about 8 pairs of them, you can get sandals, mules, slippers, boots and shoes. They have an anatomic footbed which mold to your own foot shape.

They really help me and I wouldnt be without them!

Take care

Hugs

Julia x

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I get plantar fasciitis from time to time and it does feel like walking on marbles.

I wore Clarks 'softees' or 'springers' for my old job. I found those velcro strap sandals useful in summer, and either good trainers or my light weight walking boots in winter. Sexy shoes and my beloved winkle picker court shoes are out of the question.

When we go out somewhere nice I do not put on my nice shoes until I am getting out of the car, and I rip them off as soon as I get back in it! I have a lot of old Clarks low heeled mule type slip ons for pottering about in.

The worst thing to do is to go round bare foot ... even though you might want to!

my current comfy walking boots are TOG24 baby blue canvas and swede jobs that cost about £40. I have worn them almost daily for 18 months and they show little sign off wear except dirt.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Have just noticed that you can get all terrain crocs - they look just like some hiking shoes (a bit manly, but probably comfortable).

Lesley

·
jmaca
203 Posts
I have heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, and an inflammatory arthritis in my feet that affects the ankles and toes. Needless to say, my feet are usually quite miserable!:( When I buy shoes, they have to be wide enough to accommodate all the swelling and have really good arch support.

So a year ago, my daughter bought me a pair of Dansko Professional clogs (even though they're called clogs, they are not open-backed.) Actually, because they're each hand-made, she took me to a store to try them on; each one, even the same size, is slightly different from the other.

Danskos have made my feet happy again! They're the shoes that many nurses and dancers wear. My daughter dances professionally and gets achy feet, so when she discovered how they eased her pain, she thought of me right away.

Since then, I've bought a pair of Dansko boots for winter. They are the boot version of the "stapled clog" - the ones I wear daily. I also bought a second pair of the clogs, so now I have them in red and in black. I'm saving up for a brown pair.

Geez, I sound like a commercial. :lol: But I really love them! I don't wear anything else anymore, not even sneakers.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Karen i go through shoes, have had clarks marks foot gloves and hush puppies, but when feet hurt underneath it dont matter which i have

grrrrrrrrrrr!! hope you find some hun xxxxxxxxxxLin

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
the best thing for sight seeing is a really good pair of trainers, or those sporty type sandals (teva's, keens, etc). Might not be the sexiest footwear in town, but honestly I wouldn't go sight seeing in anything else.

Actually I can't wear anything else as i wear AFO's (splints that come up to my knees) but even before then, I have been a total fan of very comfy shoes while on holiday.

have a wonderful trip

raglet

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much ladies for being so helpful!!:thanx: :grhug: wow so many ideas,there is hope after all :)

I am now armed with all the information & I'm on a shoe mission :hehe: will have a scan on the net to find all the stockists & travel if I have to!

I've had this problem for a few years now but the situation has definitely got worse lately,I need to stock up on comfy footwear..nice stylish footwear is definitely a thing of the past for me too,gave up years ago :)

I'm more concerned because the trip is with my sister & both our children & I don't want to spoil it for them :sad: It's a bit different to when I'm away my husband & children,I don't worry so much then.so fingers crossed!need footwear anyway.

Thanks again everyone,what would I do without you all :wink2: :)
keep well
big hugs karen x x :love2:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This may sound strange but even though they aren't soft, have you tried Birkenstocks? The biggest problem would be that it would have to be a sandel. I have heel spurs and I have found that if I wear the Birkies when I get home from work, then the heel spurs don't hurt. If I don't wear them, the heel spurs get aggrevated and bother me. The sandels have a lot more arch support than the other types. The big problem is that the breaking in period can be up to a month. The first time I wore the shoes I only wore them at home and for an hour or two at most. But I kept trying them and one day found myself wearing them in the mall and that my feet didn't hurt - but that was about 20 years ago before I got sick. Now they are my fall back shoes, especially when the edema gets bad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Karen
I have spurs, faciitis and arthritis in my feet plus fallen arches. I have worn a pair of Joseph Seibel shoes every day for so long they are nearly falling apart. I also have Hotter shoes and some Hush Puppies. I have tried FlyFlots but the heels are too high for my arthritis. They are very soft and mouldable though.
Hope you get something to suit you. I'm just dying to get to the sale in Tenterden where the JSs are on special offer.
Love Judi xx

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi jirel & judi

Thanks so much for your advice too,I will add them to my list!
I have a very busy weekend planned now :) I can order online but bit worried about how many pairs I would have to order to find the right ones :eek: I might do a bit of both :)

yes I also can only wear flats so it makes it that bit harder for finding something suitable :rolleyes:
Thanks again,I appreciate it!
:grhug: karen x

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Karen,
I hope you have a great time!!! I too always have to have comfort for my feet and so I wear my tennies if need be. My favorite brand of shoes is Clarks, but if you already have not been comfortable in one pair then I am at a loss. Just enjoy yourself.:)

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi becca :)

Thanks so much!:flowery: I am really looking forward to going.It will be cold but at least theres no sun to worry about :)
I have always used clarks but don't seem to be able to find anything comfy enough from there anymore.but with the long list of options I have now I'm sure I will find something :lol:
fingers crossed!

hope you keeping well,take care
:hug: karen x

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
i also have sore feet the doc said try trainers then i had an op on my left foot it took12 weeks to heal went back doc he has now refered me back to the hospital as i now have fallen arches got to se a podiatrist to see if thy can do anything will let you know what happens :)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I rec ently discovered Keens. Love the sandals, but the boots and such are the best. Big, wide toes (I have duck feet!) and good support. I find I don't slip when I'm wearing them the way I often do in other shoes. And the support is a lot better than running shoes or trainers. You can get them online. They run a bit small so you might need a larger size then you normally buy.

Good luck, hurting feet suck.

Sunny

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi
I find Ecco comfortable, if a tad ugly! I like Merrell sandals for the summer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts