The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Just wanted to ask if you can have a low C2 level ,but normal C3 and C4 levels,does anyone know?thanks,
Julsie

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Julsie,

Just wondering if this is a theoretical question , or if this is something you have?

X C X

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cath,
I've never had all my complement levels tested,just 3&4 but from what I've read,it could be C2 deficiency with me and my brother.If ,however,that would be reflected in theC3 and 4levels,that would rule it out as mine are normal.Just trying to find answers really,
Julsie

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Julsie,

The complement system is quite complicated, and I don't think I have anywhere near a full grasp of it, but here goes....

Here is a link that explains it in detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_system

Here is another quote:

Additional InformationDeficiencies of C1 components, C2 and C4 are associated with rheumatic diseases, including lupus, vasculitis, and dermatomyositis. Some individuals with deficiency may have no evidence of disease. The most common complement deficiency is C2, which is a homozygous abnormality in 1 in 10,000-40,000 individuals, and is heterozygous in 1% to 2% of the general population. Patients with C2 deficiency and lupus often have negative or low titer ANA.
Copyright © 2007 by Laboratory Corporation of America® Holdings and Lexi-Comp Inc. All Rights Reserved

It seems that a deficiency in one system can lead to a deficienct in another, ie genetic low C2 can leasd to low C4 and development of lupus. I couldn't see that normal C3 or C4 could still be found in people with a C2 deficiency - one flows on to the other if I understand it right.

This is the type of question an immunologist could answer (which I'm not:hehe: ). And remember that for almost everything there is an exception to the rule:eek:

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Cath,
that's what I thought too.I couldn't understand if C2 was such a common deficiency,why I wasn't tested for it and I came to the same conclusion,that it would have affected the others,but I will ask anyway,
Julsie

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cath,
Just found this article,very interesting.If I am reading it correctly,I think it is saying you can have low C2 but normal 3and 4.Hhhhmmmm,might try to get my complement levels measured!
julsie
ok,link wouldn't come up,but it was on medscape,article about complement deficiency and smoking.

·
Registered
388 Posts
julsie my god that site is sooooooooooooooo confusing...........:faint::umm:gosh nuclear science.....:rotfl:well if you do get a dx you will certainly know how to dx everyone else......:lol:.....jane

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Julsie :)

Here's the link to the Medscape article but people might not be able to access it unless they register which is free

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/500833_3

I got the impression that it is certainly possible to have only C2 deficiency. As it says, it is the most common inherited one. But it also says they were surprised to find a high prevalence of C2/C4 deficiencies.
I would have though that St Tom's would have tested complement, some at least.
I got the impression from other articles that were very technical that various combinations are possible or only single findings, as far as I could make head or tail of them !
Given how common the symptoms seem to be in your family it's well worth investigating. Maybe an immunologist ? That will give your wretched GP something to think about :lol:

All the best (((( Julsie )))

Clare

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wretched G.p was advised to send me to an immunologist by the rheumatologist but he refused:(
Julsie

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh,and thank you for the link Clare.I thought the article was really interesting and the part about smoking inhibiting the affect of antimalarials,I think I read it right,
Julsie

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow... you guys got my head spinning.... so much info....lol

i cant take it all in! eek!

thanks for the info and the science lesson! (which i think left me more confused then i already was!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts