The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the symptoms described here and elsewhere seem very severe compared with my husband's but I am concerned (notwithstanding the dangers of self-diagnosis) that he gets any help he may need.

He is atypical - male - white - in his 70s
He is very fit & loves sunshine, unlike me he rarely gets sunburn.
He had itching/burning on his face sometime ago but the Dr simply said he didn't know what it was.

Then a few weeks ago he had some pain in his armpit which eventually cleared up on its own.
Last week he said he had swollen glands in his neck/face.
As it was quite sunny last week he spent a lot of time in the garden, on Thursday we went out for the day.

Friday his nose was a bit swollen and very red (but not sunburn), he said it was sore & he felt very tired & kept falling asleep. Several times he complained that he felt cold and on occasion began to shake, he also very suddenly developed a persistent cough & a headache which he said was like a tight band around his head.
He does not usually have any of these kinds of symptoms.
Saturday the rash spread across his cheeks & the other symptoms were much worse. He complained of aches & pains, I wondered if he had swine flu.
By Sunday his face had swollen badly.

Monday his face was less swollen but the rash continued to expand & he said some of the aches & pains had gone. His Dr gave him treatment for Rosacea & told him to return in 48hrs if no improvement. He did not go back because there seemed to be some improvement.

This am one side of his face had swollen up again but by this afternoon was returning to normal.
The problem is that he did not tell the Dr about all the other symptoms. He has NOT 'looked up' any of these symptoms so he has not been influenced by any other diagnosis but as well as the above he has also complained of a dry mouth, sore eyes, indigestion & could not/would not eat for a couple of days.
The rash has spread upwards onto his forhead but not down around his mouth & the skin is flaking off. Although he still feels cold during the day when he goes to bed he is burning. He also suddenly said that he thought his hair was falling out but did not explain why he thought that - there is not much left anyway!

He was always an impatient man but a couple of times he seemed more so than usual & on Saturday I thought he was dozy/confused but put that down to his extreme tiredness.
Finally about 4 years ago he had a splinter in his hand which became infected & had to be removed in Casualty - he was given some sort of penicillin to take. About the same time he had the flu jab.
We then flew to Germany for a couple of days & he was ill there, cold, loss of appetite, itching etc on our return he saw a Dr & was diagnosed with Hepatitis which cleared up quickly with treatment. I think he said there was a suggestion that he had had a reaction to the penicillin.

If you have stuck with me this far - thank you! Am I letting my imagination run away with itself? Should I tell him all this or go with the current treatment & see what happens? I don't want to worry him or upset the Dr.

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Tyke,
Welcome to the lupus site. I am sorry for what brings you here.:(

Here is a link,from our main page of this site.

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/dxlupus.html

It lists what the doctors look at for diagnosing SLE.

We are not doctors here so we cant tell you if he has SLE or not. We can only offer our experiences dealing with our lupus.

You could start a list and write down everything like you told us. If there is rashes take pictures so you can show them to the doctor.

Have you talked to your husband about all this? If you do and he says that is a "womans' illness, you can say it is not. There is several men on the board here. Plus my brother has SLE too.

Have a look around on the board and have your husband have a look too. He might relate to some symptoms? Post if you have any questions.
Take care,
Lyn

·
4,436 Posts
Hi Tyke.. I would certainly want to have some investigations done.. starting with bloods. There could be a number of things going on, but as Keebler said to document it all and photograph the visible symptoms is a good way of keeping a diary of events for your doctor to see. Should he continue to feel unwell he needs referring for further investigation.. do push for some answers, he may feel a lot better when he knows himself what is happening. he could be quite frightened.... best of luck.
Claire XX

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Tyke and welcome to the site. It is an excellent place for advice and support. I am sorry your husband is not well, it must be a worry for you. The others have given you good advice about documenting symptoms and taking photos of rashes.

Could you maybe book your hubby an appt at the docs and go with him to discuss your concerns and see what the doc thinks?

Take care

DEb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Tyke and welcome.

You have been given good advice so there is not much I can add.

I am sorry for what brings you here but glad you found us.

I agree your husband needs to have blood work done, start there and then move forward and let the doctor know of everything you mentioned here.

Keep a daily journel with recorded evening temperatures and take pictures of any rashes or swelling too. Very helpful to do this as you move forward.

Come here for knowledge and support and let us know how your hubby gets along moving forward.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hello Tyke
sorry your hubby unwell,this is fab site just wanted to wish u and your hubby well in finding out what is wrong.going with your spouse is great idea i do it all time with mine as he forgets important sytpoms to tell doctor,consultants etc.
:)
hug for u lv countrylass

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
sorry your husband is not well, and i really hope things get sorted for him soon,. must be hard on you to,

take care Lin xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts