TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just posted this on related illnesses but thought i may have more luck with a response here.....

Can anyone clarify something for me... I was diagnosed in March by my consultant with Lupus (SLE), he also called it Autoimmune Hepititus because my liver has been affected. Are these the same illness as i was under the impression they were until tonight? I've read the " Lupus Book" by Dr Wallace and my understanding was that they are the same but as patients who have problems with the liver are less likely to have other symptoms of Lupus they re defined it to AIH? Ive been told tonight they are 2 complete different illnesses and people can suffer with both? I dont see my consultant until next month so I was wondering if anyone could clarify this for me? Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but Im really confused now.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks
Donut x

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Donut,

As far as I can ascertain and I'm no doc, the two conditions are seperate but can co-exist.

Do you know what tests were done to diagnose the AIH? From reliable online sources such as NIDDK and E-medicine it seems that they need to run certain tests only one of which is an ANA. There will be other antibodies present if it is AIH. Often they will do a liver biopsy too. Does that sound like the workup you got?

ANA does not diagnose Lupus, you need to have signs and symptoms of the disease to diagnose it, along with a positive ANA and sometimes other clues in blood/urinalysis add weight. If you had a DsDNA then I can see why they also diagnosed you with SLE. That's very specific for Lupus but not everyone with Lupus has it.

Some of the symptoms for AIH are similar to Lupus..........skin rashes, joint pain, fatigue, muscle pain, chest pain from pleuritis, weight loss.

Hope this helps, you will have a lot of questions for your doctor no doubt when you see him :wink2:

love
Lily

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lily

I have no idea what tests were run apart from a Liver Biopsy after my dagnosis. I was told this was to find out how much damage has been caused to my liver. He told me that i was on Prednisolone to reduce immflamation of the liver and has recently put me on Azathioprine for the SLE. Im confused now as we've been telling everyone I have Lupus, my doc never said i have two conditions so i feel pretty stupid now!! It makes sense though as i dont have the usual symptoms of Lupus apart from the extreme tiredness. Sometimes I get a bit achey but more flu like symptoms, this is when Ive done loads and im over tired. Anyway thank you so much for your reply you've been a real help.

Take care

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Maybe he has reason to believe you also have SLE? Important to find out what tests he ran and get this clarified for your own peace of mind :)

There used to be a medical term used called Lupoid Hepatitis. The reason it was used was that some AIH patients came up with a positive LE cell test, hence the name. However this term is no longer used they just say Autoimmune Hepatitis to save confusion. Lupoid Hepatitis lacks the typical symptoms of SLE.

love
Lily

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
donut,
I can understand the confussion, nothing is simple with lupus lol. I am in agreement with lily that to my understanding they can co-exist but are different. I think that some symptoms can also over lap. It is hard to figure out which one is causing the problem.

I hope you are feeling well and doing well today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts