The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It has taken me 2 days to decide to ask anyt of your opinions.
I was DX in the spring with Sjorens . SLE ( ana negative ), highes syndrome and raynards.

My new gP sent me back to clinic because my symtoms were worse and my joints all swollen up and painful.
I saw a different person today who says " Ah well the only definet we have is Sjorens.
I am in severe pain and unable to do much at all which is why i was sent back.
I am certain all your symptoms are due to depression and you would better back at work.
I was given a prescription for anti depressnt and when I asked about my swollen joints and the constant urine infections the answer was they will sort themselves out !

So where do I go from here ?
Confused, angry and down right bewildered
Pam

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
pamela b;553078 said:
Hi

It has taken me 2 days to decide to ask anyt of your opinions.
I was DX in the spring with Sjorens . SLE ( ana negative ), highes syndrome and raynards.

My new gP sent me back to clinic because my symtoms were worse and my joints all swollen up and painful.
I saw a different person today who says " Ah well the only definet we have is Sjorens.
I am in severe pain and unable to do much at all which is why i was sent back.
I am certain all your symptoms are due to depression and you would better back at work.
I was given a prescription for anti depressnt and when I asked about my swollen joints and the constant urine infections the answer was they will sort themselves out !

So where do I go from here ?
Confused, angry and down right bewildered
Pam

So on one hand your DX with the 3 above? i take it you meant Hughes?
then on the other hand your not? ,was it the rheumy who DX you? if so i would be ringing them back for an other apointment, and going to see a different GP, as that one doesnt sound a good GP at all.

Have they started you on anything Meds wise??
and i think you will need something for your water infection, omg was it a dr you saw?? sorry just cant believe her thats really bad go back see another one, or like i say ring rheumys secretery up or lupus nurse if your hospital as one. sorry cant be any more help

hugs Lin xxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi pamela :)

As I understand it, it's the rheumy that said this? The GP seems on the ball and quite right to have sent you back.

I would be angry too at such comments :mad: It is never easy to be 100% sure of a diagnosis as so many of those diseases have overlaps in symptoms but to ignore swollen joints and UTIs is downright irresponsible.

I would go and see your GP and tell him what happened as that really isn't acceptable. At the same time, I would ask him if he really thinks the anti-depressants are necessary - they might be very worthwhile f you're having fibro-type pain but I'd still ask.

It would also be worth seeing if there is any way that you could at least talk to (or see) the person you saw last time but I don't know if that's possible with whatever system they run there.

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I am assuming you saw a different consultant to last time. This can be a problem, we have no continuity of care. I would go back to gp and ask his advice. Document all your swollen joints etc, take photos and of rashes etc. They can't ignore them then. The gp can always send you back to the original rheumy to get proper treatment. You could always contact PALS as well to complain about your standard of care. They can be very helpful. Hope things work out for you.

Deb

·
Pamela b
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all

Sorry my spelling is bad but fingers dont work too well and brain can be worse. I did mean Hughes and this was called sticky blood last year by the cardi, sorry
My new Gp is great and this was not the same rheumy I saw this time as the last 2 x. I am on planequil and was on reducing steroids which ended 3 weeks ago. Things bgean to go wrong about 5 weeks ago when I reduced the steroids down and this is why I was sent back early to clinic. There is no Lupus nurse.
I also take various meds for hypertension, heart valve problems and under active thryoid problems.
I didnt need to take photos of my swollen ankles as he did see them ( they are so bad I can only get a very old worn out pair of shoes on ) and my fingers and wrists are also visibly swollen. MY urine sample was not taken from me at all so was never tested. I was told this could be " age related incontinence ", I am 54 years old !
I was asked if I could communicate with people or watch TV and when I last read a newspaper and who was the current Prime Minister !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just cant bring myself to tell anyone about this, not even my husband as I am deeply uspet. I feel as if I just want to forget the health service altogether and not bother to take the meds for anything as clearly if in his view I am just depressed I only need anti depressants dont I ?

Why are we treated this way ? Why cant someone actually make this life which can be so miserable at times better instead of it being a battle to get proper care ? It took me years to find out what was wrong int he first place and now I am back to square 1 even though I have 2 letters telling me otherwise.
Onwards and upwards !

What would I do without you to vent on ?
Pam

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I can certainly understand how you are feeling, I would feel much the same way myself if it happened to me. You know that you need more done than a script for anti-depressants, so I would definitely talk to you excellent GP and insist on being seen by a different rheumy in the future. Register an official complaint somewhere (I assume you can do that) about the way this doctor treated you.

I'm sure it will go better next time - especially if you can ensure that you will be seen by one of the other rheumy's in the clinic.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy Pam,
I had a similar experience with one officious little twit of a medico. Fortunately my other doctors dismissed the twit's opinion.
However, you are one up on me: I wasn't even offered antidepressants!:lol:
But I did get a handicapped parking tag because of the "arthritis".
Sometimes odd things happen but, in the long run, they seem to sort out.
I think the twit's opinion stiffened the spins of the other medicos!
All the best.
Douglas+

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Right pam, sorry got you after your last post, im brain dead :sad: so its the rheumy, ? and he's a different one, well i think he needs to re read your notes the plonker, i can understand you being upset too.

Pam if there are more than one rheumy in the department where you attend tell them that you want to see one of them next time, even if you have a longer wait, just say i dont want to see jo blogs!!

thats what i would do, its your rights too you know, and tell your gp about it too, its bad enouigh being ill without ppl lkie him,

wishing you a better day tomorrow hun hugs Lin xxx

·
4,446 Posts
Hi Pam... I am afraid there are idiots in all walks of life.. and you just bagged yourself a prize one!! Lets hope he gets age related incontinence soon:lol:, sounds like he already has it verbally!!.. poor you, don't let one person stop you seeking help for yourself, because when you finally get comfortable you will be proud of yourself for not giving up because of one ill educated dr... take some time to lick your wounds, then go to battle again.. because it is for you.. and do tell your GP how you feel because that is the only way they know who best to send other patients to.. and who to avoid...
lots of hugs XXXXXXXXXX
Claire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.