The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help me???

I was only diagnosed last week with SLE. I was admitted into hospital 3 weeks before with jaundice and an inflammed liver. I've been reading as much as possible about the illness but cant seem to find anything relating to the liver. Is it possible I've been diagnosed incorrectly?

Any advice appreciated

Donna :worried:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Donna and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear what brings you here.

Of course, I know very little about you but lupus is usually not a diagnosis that is handed out lightly. I think it is relatively unlikely to be an incorrect diagnosis.

Lupus can affect any part of the body really and also internal organs so that can include the liver. The kidneys are more typically affected but other organs can be too.

What led up to this happening and what other symptoms do you have?

I presume your docs have started you on longer term treatment now that you're out of hospital?

speak soon,
Katharine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Katharine,

I was admitted to hospital 4 weeks ago and had a 4 night stay. I'd been to the docs due to being very itchy all over my body and very dark urine. Anyway I had some blood tests and initially i was admitted with suspected Hep A. To say i was a little bit shocked is an understatement! I was placed on a drip due to dehydration and being jaundice whilst they did further blood tests, xray and ultrasound. The docs let me out as an outpatient as they were a stumped as to what was actually wrong with me. I have recently given birth, my daughter is 5 months old and i know this can be a trigger. But like many people i can relate to headaches, flu like symtoms, tiredness etc but have never thought it anything serious? I have no pain at all. I was asked to return as an out-patient. Following further blood results finally returning I was told I had Autoimmune Hepatitus and futher tests have now confirmed Lupus. I am on steroid tablets a day for now to reduce the inflammation of the liver which will be reduced gradually and then I have been told I'll be put on other medication for SLE. I dont seem to be able to take it in? I've read loads of info but i still cant seem to recognise that i have something wrong with me... I'm this is normal?

Donna

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Donut, so sorry your having to deal with this so close to having a little one. Lupus diagnosis isn't given lightly. I have struggled for over 10yrs and they still can't pin down what kind of Lupus I have.

I know it's a shock but on the lighter side your diagnosed withing a short time. You will be in good hands and you will get the very best of treatment. Early detection is a blessing although I understand it's a bitter pill to swallow at the moment.

Hope you feel better soon, don't forget to look after yourself

P xx

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Donna,
Hi and Welcome to the site. I am sorry that you seem to be having trouble with the liver. It is possible for any organ to be involved when it comes to lupus. As much as I would like to tell you that it could be incorrect I can't that would be wrong. It is unlikely that the doctor gave you a dx of sle without ruling out a lot of other things first. For most people it is a good 2 years or longer to get the dx. We are here if you need us and have any questions. There are a few people on this site that might be able to help you with your answers for the liver. We have a chat room I hope you will take advantage of it and join us for a chat soon.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi Donna,
As the others have said, lupus can affect just about everything in the body from the top of your head, to the tip of your toes and everything inbetween. That you haven't gotten to the pain stage is wonderful!

About 20 % of people never get to the heavy stage that some of us here have gotten to. If you are only dealing with liver issues, and those sound like they are going to be worked with, then consider yourself blessed. Hopefully the day has come where you will not end up in severe issues by getting a diagnosis early on. It took nearly 30 years for my lupus to be accurately diagnosed. By that time, major damage was done and it was not reversible. So, to get caught early on, you have great doctors who were on top of it.

Take care of yourself, rest, and follow your medical directions. Enjoy your baby!
Sally

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your kind words and support. Its really helping me. You're all very kind.

Donna x

·
Administrator
7,566 Posts
Hi Donna

I am sorry you have been so ill. It must be a bit of a shock to get a diagnosis of lupus out of the blue, it will take time to adjust to the fact. It must be even harder, when you are trying to look after your little one. This is a great site with loads of lovely people who have a wealth of info on lupus. I hope that you start to feel better soon.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
96 Posts
hi donna

sorry to hear you have been ill and especially so soon after having your little one. I too was diagnosed last year which was around 6 months after having my baby. its very hard to take it all in but in a way its good that they know now rather than years ahead when more damage could be done as previously stated. It hasnt been an easy road for me and i am learning all the time about this illness but being able to come to this forum and post for advice or a little support has been wonderful. Let us know how you get on

annie x

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Donna,
Well, I am newly diagnosed too...Lupus with secondary Sjogrens...I feel a lot like you...I know what the Dr. said...and I do understand it...I just can't seem to put that it is about me...denial is what I think I have now...lol...I don't mean to make light, far from it...but, I seem to make jokes when I am anxious...anyways, I just wanted to say HI, and let you know you are so not alone in your feelings...I must say, everyone here has been really great! Take Care,
I

1 - 10 of 10 Posts