TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope you are all doing well today.;)

Just been to see nurse to have my stitches looked at and redressed from the skin biopsy I had last Tuesday.

Whilst I was there I asked for a copy of my recent blood tests because when I asked Dermy if they were all clear he simply said that they " seemed ok!" which I felt mean't something. Any how I have a copy in front of me and once again my lymphocytes are down and RF up...BUT I now have a couple of extra ones to add...

WBC 3.6 normal range (4.0 to 11.0)
Neutrophils 1.86 normal range (2.0 to 7.5)
Lymphocytes 1.11 normal range (1.5 to 4.0)
RF 30 normal range ( 0 to 20)

My cryoglobulins have come back negative this time although were weak positive two weeks previous?

Can anybody shed some light on what these results mean or if they are significant as I have my rheumy appointment on Friday and I will not be fobbed off anymore:yell:

Just to add some other blood tests are only just within normal range...HCT, MCH and Basophils.

Love Mrs M x

PS I forgot to had but at the bottom of my blood test results it said the following... Red cells appear Normocytic/Normochromic
Note slight Neutropenia

What does this mean?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Doctors tend to not take too seriously lab results that are just out of the range of normal... there are a few reasons for this but mostly it is because when you run a lot of blood tests, it is actually nearly *expected* or the norm to have one or two come back out of the range. So this is why the doctor said it "seemed" OK. Another reason for that "seemed OK" statement is that they are not so low that anything needs to be done either.

Slight neutropenia simply means your neutrophils were a little low.

Normochromic means your RBC's were "normal" and within the range.

All that said... when you have a collection of abnormal results, PLUS ongoing symptoms and combined they may point towards something that warrants more attention and hopefully diagnosis & treatment. Most of your abnormal labs have to do with different types of WBC's (White Blood Cells) being too low. Then you also have the RF being positive. There does seem to be some evidence to point towards some kind of autoimmune problem for you, and I hope you won't be fobbed off again! Bring support with you if you need it... and a list of questions and then make sure you ask all of them ;)

Good luck at your next appointment!

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Mrs M :)

The RF and cryanoglobulins could be very significant. I have no idea about the cryanoglobulins, whether they come and go, how high they have to be to count or if any are present at all, even only once is significant. But if diagnosis or treatment options depend on test results it is worth having them done again because labs do slip up. I think I read somewhere that this is one of those tests that can easily get loused up if it isn't correctly performed.

This article will explain why they could be significant in your particular case

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001282/

Good Luck to you. Here's a dose of ****** mindedness to strengthen you in your determination. You know, I think I would print this article off and maybe produce it if need be. It isn't normally a good idea to bring web print outs to a consult but this a reliable site and they have to expect enquiring & informed patients these days. Heaven knows, you have been so badly treated so far and suffered so much.
I wonder what the biopsy will show -maybe that will be the crucial piece of the puzzle. I don't know if a negative biopsy definitely rules out anything but usually it doesn't.
As Maia says, it is the totality of history signs and symptoms that needs to be taken into account

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou Ladies

I understand about the blood tests only just being out but considering the WBC and Neutrophils on all previous tests have both been well within 'normal range' and now they took a dive down I thought maybe this could show something isn't quite right?

I will try to stay strong for my appointment and am going to take back up with me to help me through it:lol:

As you say Clare the skin biopsy could be the crucial piece of the puzzle and get me back on track fingers crossed!

Mrs M x

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Mrs M,
I don't understand the blood work myself yet so I am so sorry that I can't help you but did want to say I am sorry about the doctors saying that they seemed ok. It also is to bad that you have not been dx yet but I have my figures crossed for you and hope you are feeling well.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lola and Tammy

Many thanks for your replies. Hope you are both well.:)

Appointment tomorrow with rheumy and I know that I have to be strong and ask more questions. How nice it would be to come away tomorrow with at least a little more to go on!

Mrs M x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts