TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi countrymama here have you ever felt down an you don't know what about well thats me. I have everything that a person could ever ask for i have a wonderful husband and 6 wonderful kids.But for some reason i feel so down and out. I just can't put my finger on it.Its so confusing and it gets me even more down b/c i can't figure it out. If any of you have gone through this or is going through this i could really use some advice:sad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
You're not alone...

Hey countrymama...you're definitely not alone. I feel like that a lot...I just wish I had everything else going right in my life like you do. :) Depression is a big part of Lupus...have you spoken with your doctor about it? There are certain medications that can help you. Also, are you sleeping well at night?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello, Depression is a daily battle for me and has been for several years. I have tried every modern anti -depressant drug out there(Lexapro. Cymbalta, Welbutron .....) for some reason the new drugs only made me sick. I now take Klonopin and Anafranil, they seem to help with no side-effects. Depression is a problem for many with Lupus. I think many of us grieve for the loss of our active lives before Lupus. My most difficult time was when I had to quit teaching and go on disability. Emotionally and physically I bottomed-out.
I suggest you first see your family doctor then perhaps he will either try you on meds or suggest some therapy. Depression and anxiety are illnesses that need to be addressed just like any other health problems.
You are not alone. Please take care. Rosie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Countrymama,

The others are right that depression can be a very big part of the actual disease process in lupus.

Sometimes we may feel down for a short period because we are in constant pain or because we are learning to deal with yet another problem thrown up by lupus but we all have to be aware that if that is going on too long, or we don't really know why, we may need help to get through it. Recognising the difference is important.

Unfortunately there is still some degree of stigma attached to depression and that can stop us seeking help for it. Sometimes we even have partners not wanting us to do that and, far too often, for the years previous to diagnosis, docs were trying to heap all of our symptoms on possible "depression" and so we tend to react like furies if the word is even pronounced.

We need to remember here that it is part of the disease process, that there is no "shame" in admitting we need help and, indeed, how can we possibly deal with the other things lupus throws at us if we're not able mentally?

I may be out here on what you're going through but just my thoughts. If you do think that you might be suffering from depression, you need to talk to your doc about it. It is very real and very important and needs treating.

love and hugs :hug:
Katharine

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi countrymama

Yes I get that feeling quite a lot. Sometimes I can go ages feeling fine then, all of a sudden, bang i'm feeling really low for no reason.
Sorry to hear your feeling down at the moment:worried:. Talking to your doc might be a good idea.

sending you hugs and best wishes and I hope you feel better soon.
Elle x

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Just wanted to say your not alone. I think we all suffer with this to one degree or another. I have good days and bad days and yet sometimes there is no reason for me to feel down, I just do.

I just tell myself tomorrow is another day, pick my chin up and keep on going.

I hope you get to feeling better and maybe a anti depressant or anti anxiety medicine may help. Chat with your doctor about it.

·
11,405 Posts
No, you are not alone. With everything that lupus can think up to throw at us, it can be overwhelming to say the least.:(

The others have given you great advice about lupus and depression.
Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
Been there. Done that. The Tee shirt was eaten by moths.
There are different kinds of "i feel so down and out". First, the normal lowered affect because of losing health, opportunities, abilities, etc. Second, as the literature makes clear, autoimmine diseases can on their own create biochemical depression. Third, the very drugs that we take can cause biochemical depression in some cases. Fourth, if you happen to have allergies, there is another route to biochemical depression.
That's four without even breaking a mental sweat.
It is how we deal with these affect problems that makes the difference.
If the medicos suggest anti-depressants, one should seriously consider them. One also needs emotional support from friends, a group, whatever.
And it really helps if the Lupus goes into remission!:)
It alos helps to become intereste din other people; e.g. as I have been writing this thinking about you I have less attention to pay to the fact that I feel like *&^%$#@!
Douglas+

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so very much for the advice it really does help to have others that are going through or going through the same to talk too again thank you all :):calm:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts