The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My results from my last blood tests are in, I have tried researching to see what the three abnormal results mean all together, but, I am just more confused now.
Neutrophils 84 H normal 50-75
Lymphocytes 12 L normal 18-42
MCH 32.2 H normal 26-32

My MCH has always been just a little high, my lymphocytes always around 17, just a little low, and my neutrophils are usually 77, slightly high. Anyhow, when I searched on line, high neutrophils and low lymphocytes do not seem to go together. These results seem to concern my Dr. a bit, and she ordered a repeat of all of the above. I am being sent to the hospital on Fri. for an "abdominal ultrasound" to look at my gall bladder,liver etc.. I am currently on 15 mg. prednisone and 400 mg plaquenil a day. I am not sure what exactly is being looked for, although since I mentioned bouts of nausea, I am assuming gall stones. Would gall stones cause these results? Does anyone know of anything, any condition, that would cause all three results, kind of a single bullet?
I am feeling pretty well, except for occassional nausea (not actual vomitting, just nausea).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi.....if you have gall stone probs then you would be feeling some pain...maybe the meds your on....im certain someone will pop along too give you more advise....all the best...jane:)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
neongirl,

Here is a link to Laboratory Tests run in diagnosing lupus which includes the General Tests. http://christinakelly.win.aplus.net/resources/brochures_04.aspx

It doesn't go into detail but does give a brief discussion on the general tests. Of course all kinds of things can cause the different results to come out the way they did and it isn't necessarily related to Lupus. The abdominal ultrasound will look at more than the Gall Bladder and it sometimes is the first of multiple tests run when GI issues come up. Are you being seen by a Gastroenterologist? I have a Gastroenterologist on my crew of doctors that treat me. Partly because of the Scleroderma it was pretty much automatic when my nausea started.

The bottom line is that your doctor is the best person to ask about the combination of test results as no particular website is going to have answers to each possible lab test outcome. Is your doctor the kind you can call and he will call back?

Let us know how things go.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello neongirl,

Actually the combination of low Lymphocytes and high Neutophils is very typical. It is caused by Cortisone. As you know Lymphos and neutros are White blood cells (Leukocytes). Typically under Cortisone therapy the total leukocyte count remains WNL, but the neutrophils rise, and the lymphocytes decline.The CBC might show an increase in the number of red blood cells (RBC's). It might also show an increased WBC (white blood cell count), called leukocytosis. When these white blood cells are broken down (in the differential), there are usually more neutrophils (neutrophilia), less lymphocytes (lymphopenia), and less eosinophils (eosinopenia).

Good luck with your exam on Friday.

LG
Monique

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just found my last results:

Ref.
Leukozyten 4.000-10.000/ µl 4.100/ µl
Lymphozyten 25-33 % 15 % *
Monozyten 3-7 % 3 %
Eosinphilie 1-3 % 1 %
Basophilie 0-1 % 0 %
Segment (neutrophile) 50-70% 77% *

I am on Azathioprine and Cortisone, My results have been like this for years.

Ciao,
Monique

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much Monique! I am so relieved to hear that this is probably due to all of the prednisone, and that your results have been similar for years:) . I will rest better tonight:)
Jane, I have had a constant dull pain on the upper right side of my abdomen, but, I didn't think it was bad enough to be gall bladder problems from the way I've heard them described.
Karen, no gastro Dr. yet, this test was ordered by my rheumy. At the appt. with her, I had a list of things to ask about, and didn't get a chance to go into the results which weren't disclosed until the very end when she was discussing my meds and adjusting them. As I was signing out at the front door, she gave me a script for an ultrasound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts