The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys,

Just wondering if any of you encounter body twitching/jumping as part of having Lupus?
I have only just started to get this,i have just came off the phone to the doctor (not my own)and he reckons that it is just part of the illness.
On internet research i have come across Seratonin Syndrome,which is caused by a combination or anti-depressants and the likes of Tramadol both of which i have been taking like forever.Surely i would have had signs before now if i had this.
There is also suggestions that it could be Myoclonus? If anyone has every had any experience or knowledge regarding these conditions i would gratefully appreciate a reply.
I am going on holiday soon and am worried that it will get worse or that i will have to come off my much relied apon medication.
Thanks for reading,
Much luv Gwennie xx

·
Staying Simple
166 Posts
Hi

I also experience twitches everyday, especially on my thighs and cheeks. I complained it to my doc and he said it's nothing and just normal. But the muscle twitching on small areas of my thighs progressed to a certain extent where it becomes part of my daily life. I do realize that it hasn't got worse since then. I hope yours would be the same minor problem that doesn't need to be monitored or alter any medication routine.

Wishing the best for you,
SueC :hug:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I get the same, not normally large body parts, mainly fingers and toes.
I get it several times a day though it can be very distracting though for me thankfully not uncormfortable.:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
I get them too usually my upper arms thighs and eyelids. But have had it were my fingers have twitched and also my whole body has jumped too. Been like this for years never really thought to mention it to my Doctor. It can be so bad you can see it moving through my clothes.

Claire

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks guys for your kind replies,however i was hoping there was no link to lupus,bummer!! Seems it could be possible though.
Thanks again,
Much luv Gwennie xx

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for this thread Gwennie. This has been troubling me for a few months now and I wasn't sure whether to mention it or not. At least it happens to lots of us with no ill affect, just irritation. Oh well. :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi:)

I wrote about this quite a while ago.
Some answers received were that this can be common or so it seemed and were put down to a term called fisticulations. There are other reasons for twitching that can be a symptom of something else.
The bottom line is let your doctor know and then google it and ask here:).

My muscle twitches which I still get , are I wonder down to lupus symtoms or perhaps the medications.

They can be quite visable thigh, knee, shoulder muscles and also in my stomach area. It reminds me of the feeling of when I was pregnant and the baby kicked.
Its is about as plesant as that.

Nicky:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
My consultant said it was myclonic jerk - it only happens to me when i am extremely run down and fatigued. Did a ct scan and no damage showed up - if its concerning you you should maybe mention it. I rested totally for 3 weeks and it had certainly eased - so i think its my body's way of telling me i'm doing FAR too much.
xx

·
Registered
149 Posts
Little twitches, sometimes visible through the skin, are what I think are called fasciculations. These can be normal, or part of CFS or ME or for a whole heap of other reasons. I don't think doctors seem to generally think they are very serious.
Bigger twitches, where the whole limb jerks, are possibly what is called myoclonic jerks. These may be a sign of something neurological going on, although some myoclonic jerks can be normal - that little jolt that you sometimes get just as you are falling asleep for example. Even hiccups are a sort of myoclonic jerk (of the diaphragm).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have both the twitching and myoclonus and take Keppra and Klonopin (from the word clonus says my neuro even though spelling is different). They drive me crazy at time and other times go away. Anemia can cause the jerking so definitely check that out. I find when my iron is really low they act up more. Good luck:(:)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I get something called myoclonus jerks, according to the doctor.

For me it is at it's worst when I lay down to go to bed at night yet it does happen during the day. I find it can be worse if I am over tired or stressed.

I also have hyper reflexes on one side and diminished on the other. Just wish the body would operate normal for once.

It can be very annoying.:mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi
I also get this. I've always (20+years) has restless leg syndrome but this last year it has increase in frequency and now includes most of my body. It is a source of amusement to my daughter and I try to laugh about it but I worry what other people think when I can't sit still due to my arms. legs and shoulders jerking. Recently I have found myself unable to fall asleep or waking up in the night with my whole body jerking. Most of the time I ignore it but sometimes it gets me down - yet another symptom?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I started twitching all over about 15 months ago and although it is not as bad as it was in the beginning, it still bothers me. The worst is when my eye twitches as it has been for 2 days now. Don't know if it's part of lupus but I never experienced it before. Mine caused painful muscle cramps when they were at the worst. Hope it get better for you.

Mary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts