TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after days of worrying, being treated like nothing by the NHS, I've finally made up my mind.

I'm going to see a consultant at the London Lupus Centre.

I've got the prices in... and they aren't cheap :eek: But hey, it's my health so I can't see a problem on spending a few quid.

Can someone who's been here give me any tips, hints, nudges as to who I should see, what I should request etc

I've been told that I may not need to give a blood test there (which is £400) as I have recent blood tests which should be sufficient.

Also, from my first consultation, would they be able to put me on medication? Or will they draw out the process over several consultations?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
:thumbs: good decision!

Dr. David DeCruz is highly regarded and many on here see him. As far as what you should request I wouldn't be requesting anything. Your first visit take your blood and urinalysis results along and list all your symptoms. The rest he will take care of giving you a complete physical and asking lots of questions.

If he is satisfied that you do indeed have SLE then he will probably start you on treatment straight away :)

love
Lily

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lily for the advice.

Is it an expensive process to go for the complete physical test? Not that it matters, just that I want to brace myself for any shocks :(

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi again,

What I meant was that they will check you out from top to toe, poking and prodding ;) looking at skin, nails, listening to chest, taking blood pressure........all whilst in your underwear ;) Well that's what they do here anyway, I assume the British system isn't all that different to the Australian.

I guess if you have symptoms of any lung problems etc. then there would be scans which may have an extra cost, but perhaps if they instruct your GP to get them done on NHS then it won't cost you anything (and you may not need any done anyway hopefully).

love
Lily

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
National Health Service is free. But it isn't that good a service. I was diagnosed with SLE last Wednesday. My next appointment to see someone about it is in 3 months time.

So, a lot of people choose to go private for piece of mind - which unfortunately costs a lot :(

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Surferboy,

Since the bad visit to A and E have you phoned your consultant, trust me I know how demorilising the NHS can be, but try to overcome those feelings and just push for what is rightfully yours FOC

THEN, in the meantime still book a private appointment - afterall you can cancel this if necessary if the NHS comes through with an earlier appointment.

Both avenues will be covered then

I,m sure your NHS consultant would be very concerned about your current symptoms if only you phoned to tell him

ake care

Lesley

1 - 7 of 7 Posts