The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have dry eyes, but when I was 17 I had a horrible time with contacts. My eyelids became inflamed and caused major conjunctivitis. This was about 12 years ago when they came out with the daily wear. I haven't tried them since because my eyes are so easily bothered. But I REALLY would love to wear them once or twice a week when I perform in restaurants or for any other shows. It's frustrating dancing and not being able to see or gauge your audience. Anyone have suggestions on contacts for sensitive eyes? Or am I just stuck with being blind? Thanks for any help!

Alima

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
I would make an appointment with a good eye doctor and talk to him about your options.
I'm sure they have made some advancements in contacts in the last 12 years and know thay have in what can be done with surgery.

I would sure think you would have more options today then ever before but only a doctor can look at your individual case and advice you what options are open to you.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Alima and welcome :)

It's probably a good idea to get a checkup with your Opthamologist (eye doctor as opposed to someone who prescribes glasses). They can do some tests to make sure you don't have dry eyes now, because it is a possibility............I didnt even know mine were dry until they did the tests so best to rule that out first.

Contacts they have come a long way with I believe and they may be able to recommend a certain type that won't give you the problems you previously had.

I would strongly warn anyone here against laser surgery though because one thing they don't tell Lupies and Sjogrenites is that it actually makes your eyes drier :eek: not something we want!

love
Lily

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi Alima

My eyes are rather sensitive, if you have a sty and even look at me I will get one too! I am mostly blind in my left eye so I only wear one contact lens. My first experience round 10 yrs ago wasn't very encouraging... itchiness, burning and swelling.
I started wearing a lens again bout 4yrs ago, there are so many options now... I find soft lens disposables work for me - they're not too pricey and actually let your eye breath! As with Lily I didn't know I had dry eyes until I got tested and did a course of medular - vitamin based capsule to re-hydrate the eye. There's also a lubricant that helps if the lens feels like its "sticking" to the eye.

Agree 100% with rwb200 and Lily though to have a check up. They seldom offer to test for dry eyes so you may have to request it. Not sure how your system works but I was given trial lenses followed by a check up 2 weeks after. I went through 3 different trials to find a suitable match. I prefer my specs but it is nice to have the option of lenses for special occasions where you only have to wear them for a short period of time.

Good luck and happy dancing!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much everyone! I guess my biggest scare was trying to go to someone that doesn't understand and just wants money, but I will definitely ask my opthamologist. I'll definately ask about the disposable soft lens and get my eyes tested. Again thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts