The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on 3 months now with Costochondritis. If you have had this, how long did it last? Every time I lean forward it gets me, or if I bend over to pick something up, when I stand up straight it hurts. It doesn't ever turn chronic, does it? I might need to go back to doc, or maybe I should go to rheumy instead.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I get chostrocondritis, and so do some others. I need to take motrin and up my pain meds when it occurs as it can be quite painful...feels like a 2 ton elephant is sitting on my chest.

I have found that with lost of rest, minimal reaching and such and no lifting it can ease up after a couple of weeks. I have never had it fully dissapear before 6 weeks andoccasionally lasts a bit longer.

I don't know if you can call it chronic, but my ortho said it's connective tissue, lupus is a connective tissue disease, and it can get inflamed just like any other. I have found that I usually have done something to irritate my ribs and then I get it...but don't realize it till after I have it and think back to what I might have done.

Sorry you feel this way, you probably should talk to your Dr and get an anti-inflammatory to help.

Stephanie

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi,

Im sorry to say that I dont think mine ever goes completely. Sometimes it is definately worse and I am in agony and other times it is liveable.

For me regular NSAIDs makes it managable, mixed with a lot of teeth gritting and finding imaginative ways not to swear :)

God Bless
K

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi lullrich76,
Sorry to hear you are having a bout of costo. In the past 5 yrs I've had at least 8 or 9 times. I am currently in a flare which makes the costo feel much worse. A few months ago I went to my PCP as my ribs were really killing me and he injected Vit B12 into @ 8 hot spots in my back. After about 2 days my ribs felt so much better! Maybe one of your docs could try this for you. Never hurts to ask. Normally my bouts with costo have lasted a minimum of 6 wks but have lasted 3 months.
Hope this helps.

Michelle

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My bout with it was brought on by a bad cough, and it lasted several months. 4-6 weeks with just terrible pain, and then it improved over the next few months. When it gets to a real improved state, you can ask about physical therapy as there are "exercises" you can do that will help to prevent getting another bout. When you're in the middle of it, you really don't want to do anything. You definitely have my empathy...

Hope it improves soon and I would probably be getting a rheumy appt in your shoes. Some prednisone, or long term NSAID therapy may be needed.
Good luck...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts