The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I still have my chest pain since June. I notice it most when bending down, then standing up and then exhaling...that is the most painful. I have periodic pain depending on how I move or after exercising. The doctor kept saying costochondritis.

Then I went for my physical a little over a week ago and she said she would run tests because it seems to be lasting too long. So she did an EKG which was normal. Then last Friday, I had a pulmonary function test, an echo and a chest CT with and without contrast.

Monday, I saw my rheumatologist and he thought that it didn't really sound like costo since costo is tender and you can usually press and feel the pain. He thought maybe a pericardial effusion, which would show on the CT. He also questioned me on if it felt anything like when I had pleurisy, which it doesn't.

The echo and CT came back normal, so I guess no pericardial effusion. I am still waiting on the pulmonary function. So, then if that comes back normal, I guess they will say that it is costo again and nothing can be done.

It is so frustrating having pain and no one can find a cause for it. :sad:

Take care,
Lisa

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi lullrich,

I'm in the same position as you.

Had chest pains for several weeks now. Been hospital, GP, Rhumy, and they all say everything seems fine.

They all said it could be costo, but then when they press on the chest area and there is no pain it baffles them. Then they just say it could be "muscle spasms"!!

Like you, I've had an ECG, lung pulmonary test and xray, and they all showed negative.

The pain continues, as do my concerns :(

So, again, like you, they will just say "it's costo" :(

PS Do you also get like a pulsating feeling on the side, around the lower rib cage area?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had chest pain off and on. Last time it got so bad that I went to the ER, convinced I was having a heart attack. They did a quick EKG and said there was nothing wrong and that it was just "chest wall pain", whatever the heck that is. I have never had any further tests on it. There are just so many things wrong with me that the doctors seem to be tired of trying to figure it all out. Fine for them, not so great for me. I hope you get some answers soon!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surferboy...no I don't have pain by my lower rib cage...have they checked you for pleurisy? That is sort of where my pleurisy pain was, but it was excrutiating and constant.

Thanks for the replies. I find myself wondering how they even know that inflammation exists if there is no test that can prove it...how can they have a name for a problem that no one can actually find or see?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lisa,
I am having the same pain as you discribe, and no solid answer to the problem, my rheumy sent me to a pain center here and they are going to do a nerve block, nest week
where the pain is the worst, i can't breath or bend over and when i put on a bra the pain
is horrible, which you have to do to go to work, and am hoping this will end the pain.
Good luck on your end.
Pam (bamagir79)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pam, you too...Let us know how you make out.

My pulmonary test was normal. So, I asked the office girl if they can send me copies of my results and they said no, that I can see it the next time I am in the office...that is just crazy. I will contact the hospital for them. Then I asked if the Dr. could call me to discuss my chest pain since all these tests were normal and she said no, but you can make an appointment. I said, the Dr. can't call me? Then some other nurse got on the phone and said what is the problem? So I said, I want to discuss my chest pain with the dr. since these tests were all normal. She said she will leave a message but she might not be able to get back to me until Monday. Jeez!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi to all....
I have had all of the above. Recurrent/constant chest pain. Xrays, Cts, Ekgs. Even Echos. I can tell you from my experience that all of those labs did not prove anything, even the echo at times showed normal. A few of those time the echo did show pericarditis. Most of my pericarditis episodes did not show on any labs. (at times my white blood ct. was high) In the past increasing prednisone dosage would clear it up. A few years ago I started Colchicine, which is usually for gout, but is found to keep pericarditis under control. I have been on it for almost 2 years. I also see a cardiologist that also says that costocond. is mostly painful to the touch, which I have never had. My pain was internal, chest wall, and up my left shoulder. I hope this info is helpful.
Hope your feeling better soon.
Kim:)

·
Registered
432 Posts
i have costo at the moment...been in hospital too and was in so much pain thought it was something more...nothing showed on chest xray, ecg or blood gases. altho mine is tender to touch it also hurts all over my chest front back shoulder ect...but they just say theres nothing more they can do..am on immunosuppressants, steroids and nsaids...what else can you do hey. sucks..i cant even sleep it hurts so much! i think all us lupies are still a mystery to the drs!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The doctor said my tests were normal, but they wouldn't send me a copy of the results. So, I got them from the hospital. The echo shows that I have mild mitral valve regurgitation, otherwise normal. The Chest CT showed a couple things that I don't understand the terminology and it said "essentially normal". The pulmonary function was normal. So, I asked to have the doc call me to discuss the next steps and they want me to make an appointment to discuss things. I don't think that I should have to make another appointment, take time off work and pay another $20 co-pay for something she can just discuss with me over the phone. She has already seen me.

Anyways, since yesterday, I have developed new pains, under my left breast on through to my back. I sure hope this isn't going to be pleurisy. It is around the same place where I had it last time. My rheumy lowered my meds when I saw him last week, I am starting to wonder if that isn't such a good idea. I will see where this pain goes in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lisa,
Just a note, my pains increased about a week after lowering my prednisone. Everytime! (just like clock-work) In the last year, I have lowered my prednisone by .5mg every 3-4 weeks, as long as my chest/shoulder pain did not get worse. Do you keep a record of your med changes and syptoms?
I had been on a yoyo string with lowering meds and increase in chest pain for about 2 years. I have finally found relief after being on Colchicine.
If it is possible, you should try to see a cardiologist. I felt pretty good about seeing a cardio., he knew so much about my pericarditis and pain/symptoms, I am more than happy to see him when I have chest pain.
I sure hope you get some relief soon.
ps. what kind of meds do you take?
Kim

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Kim,

I am only on plaquenil. I am trying to negotiate a house to buy this week and I think my increased pain is from the stress. I think it must be costochondritis because now I feel it in my ribs under my left breast and there are tender spots that I can push on and feel more pain. Plus, my back is sore almost right behind the pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts