The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lung infection so I am pretty much coughing up a lung every time I turn around. I am on a megga dose of antibiotics plus increased steroids to cover my asthma, so I am sure i will improve fast.

But, because I have a lot of damage at the back of my mouth (numbness, plus lack of gag reflex due to my npsle) I am having this really weird thing happen.

I can cough normally but ickky stuff doesn't seem to make it up into my mouth. I cough, but there is nothing to spit out, but then a few minutes later there is something feeling a bit odd at the top of my throat/back of my mouth and I realise that it is the phlem (sorry) that I should have spat out. But I don't feel it until I keep breathing for a several minutes and it sort of moves a bit (it is a very hard feeling to describe) then I realise that there is something there that I need to spit it out into a tissue.

I know this is just the damage to the back of my throat area - the numbness and the lack of a gag reflex, but it all feels a little weird. I worry that I may inhale the ickky stuff when I am asleep - but then again, it'd only be going back where it came from so maybe that wouldn't be a problem, but honestly I just don't know.

I will be very happy when I am through this phase of it, it is most unpleasant.

geesh, just another weird post from raglet - some of my neuro stuff is very odd

thanks for reading

raglet

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Raglet, I am sorry for what you are going thru, but I can identify with it.
My gag reflex , at it's own discression, will work perfectly, and sometimes not.
When it is not working, everything goes to the back of my throat and just
stays there. I cant swallow it, and I cant spit it out. Oh well, just another one of those anoying things that no one can help with. Please take care,smile, and
remember, we all are here for you.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Halfpint, you said it all - it's definitely one of those annoying things that no one can help with. I am finding though that if I load up on an expectorant cough mixture (along with my asthma inhalers) that it seems to help, perhaps by making it less sticky or something. Who knows.

Anyway, I was beginning to think i was the only one - not that I would wish problems with the gag reflex on anyone, but it is nice not to be alone with these stupid problems that seem designed to annoy the heck out of me. Honestly, sometimes these stupid little things annoy me more that the BIG things, there is no logic to life.

I am meant to be going back to work tomorrow but still feeling pretty rotten - I will go in, but I suspect that i will just catch up on my email then come home again.

thanks again

raglet
cough cough

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Raglet,

Sorry your still not feeling well.

Are you able to stay home and check email that way?

If your not on your feet then going into work may make it worse.

Worried about you and just putting in my 2 cents here.

Hope your back to normal soon.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi Karol

I have started working half days - which for me means 3 hours a day. I can work less if I like, but I just get so behind that it gets impossible.

I have to be at a 2 day conference Thursday Friday which is a full day which i am not looking forward to. I usually only work 5-6 hours a day at the best of time.

Oh well, my gp has just changed my antibiotic so hopefully things will start looking up soon

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hopefully being placed on a different antibiotic will do the trick.

If it works then you should notice the good effects very soon.

Let us know how you get along.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts