The Lupus Forum banner

Could I have Lupus?

400 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Clare.T 
Welcome to the forum Kelly

I am sorry about the family history of lupus which does make your having lupus or a similar sort of disease somewhat more likely. It is reckoned that there is a hereditary predisposition but the disease needs one or perhaps even several triggers to start it off.

My doctor said that another ANA test could come back negative again so if I was that desperate to know he would send me for a genes tests to see if I carry it. Should I have a gene test?
I advise you to get another doctor as this one doesn't have a clue about lupus. ANA can certainly become positive in time. It can come and go even when it was there at time of diagnosis or at any time in the past. Although is extremely common in lupus in fact there are many other diagnostic criteria.

There is no genetic testing diagnostic of lupus at the moment. There is a great deal of research going into the genetics of lupus in people with lupus and their close blood relatives. Last time I read up about it they had identified 36 gene markers ,as they are called. There are some types of what's called HLA that are particularly associated with sorts of lupus and other diseases but people who have these particular HLAs do not necessarily have that associated disease and not everybody with that disease has the type.

If there is serious doubt about a particular diagnosis, then genetic type testing might be done to provide an additional clue to help differentiate between diseases with very similar symptoms. Otherwise it is largely of academic interest. This sort of testing is very costly.

The family of people with lupus might have relevant antibodies such as ANA which might suggest a greater risk of developing the disease, but if there are no symptoms there is no disease.

Lupus diagnosis is made by carefully considering a person's entire health history, recent and current health problems, close blood relatives' health problems, by examining the patients for signs and by a wide variety of tests - blood urine and sometimes imaging. I suggest you look at the articles about symptoms, diagnosis and testing on the information section of this site which gives an easy to understand introduction to all aspects of lupus.

While your family history makes lupus a more obvious possibility, the symptoms can resemble those of many other diseases so if you are feeling unwell it is well worth deciding to get a thorough work up to find out if there is a cause.
Many diseases are easily treatable, and lupus can very often be stabilised and well controlled. The sooner it is effectively treated the better the outcome and of course quality of life. It is not a question of "being desperate "( what a patronising thing to say ) more of being as well as possible and not risking kicking oneself in years to come for not having persisted

Please let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask for further advice - there's a vast wealth of information and experience here.

Bye for now

Clare

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.