The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :)

Im not a great talker :blush: and tend to keep a lot to myself, my Gp has kind of noticed this and suggeseted i could see the practice counsellor if i wanted to. Has anyone here been to a counsellor? any advice would be great, also my parents do not think seeing a counsellor is a good idea, when i mentioned it to them, as they say that the counsellor will write a report on everything i say and that will go into my medical records, which will look bad when seeing other doctors as they'll think i have 'mental' problems :( and will put symptoms down to this?!? im confused and dont know what to do for the best :worried:

Any advice appreciated ;)

x x x x x x x x x x x x x ;) x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
To be honest,

I think that anyone with a chronic incurable disease is bound to need help getting through it. I don't see how that can reflect in any way. You have the disease and whatever is offered that can help is to be taken :)

Katharine

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, I have recently completed a course of counselling sessions to help me come to terms with being ill. It has really helped me, I was having trouble facing up to the fact I was ill and needed help to accept the adjustments that this mean't in my life. My counsellor was excellent and no notes were made and no record went in my gp file.

It really worked for me, but I was ready to have counselling. It does mean work on your part and you have to click with your counsellor. Not all counsellors report to your gp mine was through an independent charity.

It does help if you specifically request one with experience of dealing wiith chronic illness as you do need someone who understands the complexities of living with a long term illness.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I totally agree with Katharine and the others...See the counsellor!

First off medical records are patient Dr confindential and you need to sign a release for them to be given out. You can choose not to release those records if you don't want to.

Second, this is a chronic illness that affects all aspects of your life, and will do so forever...You need someone to guide you in acceptance and coping skills to deal with this! Mental illness is not the issue here, acceptance and coping are, you need to express your fears, concerns and issues with someone who is trained to guide you.

I see a counsellor, it has helped me so very much, not only in dealing with this disease and its affect on my life, but also in managing stresses so that I can lower the risk of flares and other related issues.

I think you should give it a shot, even if it is just one session to see if you and the counsellor "click" if you trust him/her and feel comfortable and think they understand the issues of a chronic/debiltating illness. If you think it helps but this is not the "one" for you, keep looking, there will be one for you!

Best of Luck - Stephanie

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
I am very sorry for the antideluvian attitude of your parents.
In my life and career I have been on both sides of the counselling desk and can assure you that, given a competant and caring counsellor, nothing but good can come of such a therapeutic relationship. Go for it!
All the best.
Douglas+

·
Registered
7 Posts
farmgirl

I think that a good counselor sounds like a great idea. You can vent things with them that you other wise would not since you are shy. Don't let anyone make the choice for you, you do only what you are comfortable with.

DO TODAY WHAT OTHERS WON'T SO YOU CAN ACHIEVE TOMORROW WHAT OTHERS CANT:bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

FARMGIRL

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Bex,

((( hugs ))) You have nothing to loose in seeing a councellor...hopefully it will be a big help!

Just make sure that if you don't feel comfortable with the one provided you ask to change. A counsellor is very much like a friend without the strings...they are just there to listen and guide, build confidence and to support you!

Try not to worry to much about your parents reaction...lots of people can't deal with depression mild or chronic. They are probably just in shock with the thought of there little girl suffering more and in time will be back to understanding. Lupus and any other chronic illness has a major impact on those with the diesease and the family members!

Anyway (((hugs))) again, take care!

Love

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm seeing a counsellor at the moment, it's really helping me to deal with how my illness is affecting my life. I'm only 37 and I feel about 90 some days. I'm really disappointed that even today people think that getting help like this is a negative thing, it really isn't. And it's completely confidential. I think anyone with a long term health condition would be understandably distressed and need helpt to deal with it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all :)

Thank-you for all your replies ;)

Still havent decided yet whether to see the practice counsellor yet, but its reasuring to know that others have found it helpful.

Thanks everyone x x x ;) x x x x x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.