TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my husband and I are awaiting a dx on Friday the 18th with my Rheumatologist ( I have AS). So while its not yet confirmed that he has Lupus, I was wondering if the cracked fingertips for the last several months is a possible symptom of SLE. I cant find any info on the internet about it. I read about all the other dermatologic symptoms and he has none of them. He has fatigue and joint pain. His labs tested positive for SLE except he shows no sign of imflammation!? That is why the Rheumy isnt quite convinced its SLE yet. He is an auto mechanic so this is especially hard considering he is on his feet almost 12 hours a day.....

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sue

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Sue,
All I can say is it is very painful!I tried to find info about cracked fingertips as I get it:eek:uch: All I could find was that you can get finger tip eczema which causes splits,so it could be that,
Julsie

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Sue i have got sore cracks on my fingers and the crease between my finger and thumb.But one of the women on the site said about a cream called Aqueouse Cream BP it is a moisturising cream i got it and have been useing it and it has worked for me.You can get it at superdrugs for £2-29 it is great that someone else posted it on the site so i will say thank you to who put it on the site:) elisabeth

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum! :)

Cracked finger tips aren't particularly associated with lupus although some people do suffer from them and other finger problems often from the blood vessels being affected, vasculitis.
Even so they would often be among the many symptoms that need topical treatment short term at least as they might not necessarily respond to the usual systemic disease medicines. I have read that "liquid bandages" can help whatever the cause. Things like 'New Skin' or 'Gloves in a Bottle'. Of course protection is essential. Your husband must come into contact with many harsh or allergenic substances

About the diagnosis, you need to know what tests were 'positive for lupus' There are very few specific tests : two antibodies which are not always present and two symptoms, skin and kidney disease. Usually the positive test that is often referred to is one called 'ANA', but this is not a test for lupus since it can be positive for many reasons although usually low titre. 1:160 and below is generally regarded as not being very significant and the higher the titre the more likely it is caused by lupus or a similar autoimmune disease.
As for the inflammation there is often no visible inflammation in lupus, such as red swollen joints. The SED or ESR rate is often raised but not always. Lupus can be very tricky to diagnosis because it can present in so many ways so a lupus experienced rheumatologist is often best.

It is as bad to be misdiagnosed with lupus or similar, as not diagnosed. Apart from getting unnecessary or inappropriate treatment there are great implications for insurance.
I hope your husband will get some answers soon and helpful treatment. Anti inflammatory medicines could help and some times doctors will prescribe a short course of Prednisone to see if that helps.
Make sure urine has been tested for signs of kidney trouble. He is fortunate to have such a helpful partner

All the best

Clare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts