The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am just curious to hear from those of you who have been dx with Lupus what kind of eye issues you may have had other then blurry or double vision/floaters.

I know some people have vasculitis issues and I am guessing that would effect the eyes because it effects blood flow.

I hope today finds everyone doing well.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Dry eye is very common, some here have more serious eye problems including vision loss usually due to APS or vasculitis. I have dry eye and have had some eye infections (one quite serious & rare requiring an immediate procedure to cure it!).

Hopefully others will come along with their personal experiences soon - Sundays are often pretty slow days on the board though! :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

Yes dry eye is very common as Maia said and unless tested it often goes unnoticed. That was the case for me until some enthusiastic med student in Opthamology decided to do a Shirmers Test and Rose Bengal staining whilst ruling out another possible condition. Result: Scored 0 on the Shirmers (anything under 5 considered positive) and I also actually had a rip in the surface of one eye because it was so dry................intensive application of drops and gels corrected that and no harm done thankfully.

I also have CNSV so got symptoms of no vision at all for very short periods of time when flaring :eek: and blurriness, double vision etc.

I also have a problem with my R eye muscle and it doesn't work correctly and is obviously droopy at times when flaring (not a good look ;)) and I can't focus or see well with it (thank goodness we have two eyes!) We are still working on that one and I have another appt with the Optho tomorrow for that and am under the watchful eye of my Neuro.

Think that's about it for me :hehe:

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ladies. I think the dry eye thing is Sjrogens right?

I guess it is common for Sjrogens to go along with Lupus?:worried:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Karol,
I get very sore eyes but have no diagnosis regarding this yet.
I also get quite strange sensations and pain in and around my eyeballs and sockets. This is always worse when my pain is worse.
I ahve not had significant blurring to my vision but would say say that i have more trouble vocusing than before.

Yes its quite common for sjorgens to be present along side lupus or MCTD.

Cassie :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Karol,

Dry eye isn't exclusive to Sjogren's but it is one of the diagnostic criteria for it. An Optho at the major teaching hospital I go to said that around 30% of people with any connective tissue disease can have dry eye syndrome.

As Cassie said it's quite common for Sjogren's to go along with Lupus. Many of us have it as a secondary condition, with Lupus being the primary one.

Cassie............have you had your eyes checked out by an Opthamologist and had some tests done? Dry eye syndrome is an alternative criteria for a Lupus diagnosis according to Professor Hughes in London. It certainly added more weight to my having Lupus before everything else fell into line.

love
Lily

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi Lily,
I did have my eyes checked by an opthamologist about 8 wks ago, my standard retinopathy screening for my diabetes.
Due to the pain i was having around my eyes and being hyorothyroid, i did have the pressures checked but unfortunately i did not have a dry eye test done.
I really wish i had specificly asked for one now. I did tell my opthamologist about my eye and suspected ctd but he did not do the test.
i have been thinking that i might go to a regular optician to see if i can get the test done. Do they do it?

Cassie :)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, My eyes get very hot, as if they have just been burnt. That is when they begin to water, and they can continue to water all that day. I also have days
where my eyes just water for no reason. They actually have tears running down
my face, this also happens for a whole day. I look like a pretty good little drinker,
(and I don't drink) bloodshot eyes, pupils, etc., I don't know what causes it, and I have never told my Rheumy, I just chauk it up to lupus and be done with it. But it
is good to have your eyes examined every year or two. Be well.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Cassie,

I'm not sure about whether the optician over there would do the Shirmers, it's a simple enough test if he has the strips they put in your lower lid. Perhaps one of our UK members would be able to answer this question?

love
Lily

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have problems with my eyes as well. Then tend to run a lot during the day and can make the corners of my eyes very sore, especially where I have frequent occurrence of my rash. But during the night they go very dry and as I am nodding off they become really painful, like there is sandpaper in my eyelids, really not nice. I always have floaters, my doctor once told me that they were due to the frequent painkillers I was taking, but I am not sure if this is correct or not?

I mentioned it to my doctor a while back and she gave me an ocular lubricant. I have found that I get better results with soothing eye drops and only use the ointment when it is very bad.

Regards
Star

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: Eyes

I get conjuctivitis in my eyes alot but due to lupus and not viral. Itchy eyes like an allergy attack at times and I get floaters, blurred vision along with a nerve around the eye lid of the lower lid that starts twitching. And when that twitching starts it will go for weeks and weeks on end! Does not hurt, just annoying and aggrivating!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like quite a few of you have eye issues.

Thanks for the replies here.

I hope your all well.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had optic neuritis some time back, and lost the sight in my right eye for a while. It can cause some terrible eye pain, and usually a blind spot in the center of your vision. Not a very common thing, but it can happen.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tbunny1;513515 said:
I had optic neuritis some time back, and lost the sight in my right eye for a while. It can cause some terrible eye pain, and usually a blind spot in the center of your vision. Not a very common thing, but it can happen.
I have had several bouts of ON, or so the doctors think it was Optic Neuritis along with a horrific Trigeminal Neuralgia.:eek::eek::eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts