TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what other people's skin looks like after lesions have started to clear with medication. Is it back to complete normal or are there still tell tale signs? I seem to have lost some pigmentation where my marks were.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I am hoping Clare T will be along shortly as she is the resident skin expert, however I think it does matter what king of cutaneous lupus you have and where it is located.

I have SCLE, but only had lesions on my neck and arms. When those lesions went away, they left brown pigmentation around the edges and lighter color in the middle. I have not had an outbreak of lesions in about 3 years but the pigmentation remains. Where visible I use a coverup when I dress up but otherwise don't bother much with them.

I know Discoid may leave scarring that is much more noticable.

I believe that there are lazer treatments that can be used to reduce the appearance of some of the lesions, however I don't know if this is for all kinds.

Other than that I am sorry that I cannot offer more assistance.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

Stephanie

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Mine have left pink pigmentation. I get the lesions on my face, arms, neck and chest and even my poor ear lobes

Sheila x

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Aggie
I don't have much more information I am sorry to say. I think it is very individual as well as much as depending on what sort of lupus skin it is.
Lupus itself can cause pigment changes. Something to do with the melanin pigment that causes tanning.
My SCLE lesions had dead white centres looking rather like scar tissue. In fact I had been told it was but when the lesions cleared so did these weird centres . I was told that deposits of mucin had cleared Otherwise I was left with redness due to the tiny vessels being damaged by inflammation.

It seems that sometimes the pigment comes back but since we are avoiding the sun that might be less likely to happen. There are some treatments available that might help but this would have to be determined by a really expert dermatologist and I think there are only about half a dozen in the UK. St Johns Dermatology is the nation wide tops and works with St Thomas Lupus Unit.
I suspect that getting corrective cosmetic treatment on the NHS is about as hard as getting a sex change op.

There's a paragraph about it in this part of The Lupus Book

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA66,M1

I am glad your skin is so much better anyway but I do absolutely understand your wanting it perfectly normal again.

Many Hugs
Clare

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clare.T;544410 said:
Hello Aggie
I don't have much more information I am sorry to say. I think it is very individual as well as much as depending on what sort of lupus skin it is.
Lupus itself can cause pigment changes. Something to do with the melanin pigment that causes tanning.
My SCLE lesions had dead white centres looking rather like scar tissue. In fact I had been told it was but when the lesions cleared so did these weird centres . I was told that deposits of mucin had cleared Otherwise I was left with redness due to the tiny vessels being damaged by inflammation.

It seems that sometimes the pigment comes back but since we are avoiding the sun that might be less likely to happen. There are some treatments available that might help but this would have to be determined by a really expert dermatologist and I think there are only about half a dozen in the UK. St Johns Dermatology is the nation wide tops and works with St Thomas Lupus Unit.
I suspect that getting corrective cosmetic treatment on the NHS is about as hard as getting a sex change op.

There's a paragraph about it in this part of The Lupus Book

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA66,M1

I am glad your skin is so much better anyway but I do absolutely understand your wanting it perfectly normal again.

Many Hugs
Clare
On my face I have some broken capillaries/redness where the lesions were. I not sure whether this has been caused by the condition or the countless creams used over the years to try and prevent it. The areas in my groin have left white patches. As you said, the skin looks almost like it has been scarred and is very delicate. Anyway, I can't really complain because I look heaps better than I did a few months ago. It is wonderful not to have to contend with open sores on my face every morning. Still have issues with my hair, but hey, it's early days and anyway, I think I have to accept that even if things do improve, it's going to be an on/off situation for the rest of my life. I saw Dr D'Cruz yesterday and he was very pleased with my progress and the fact that the methotrexate was helping both the psoriasis and lupus lesions. Fingers crossed things will improve even more. Thanks Clare x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts