TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also take Cymbalta, which apparently helps with mood issues as well as pain issues with all of the above. Is anyone else on this?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have moved your post to Medications where hopefully it will attract more answers You wrote in your earlier post
I am on Plaqunil, and antinflammatory drugs for all of that. They were helping for a few months, but now I am in a great deal of pain in my hands, fingers, hips, back, and knees. Oh, and I have [COLOR=#8E8E8E ! important][COLOR=#8E8E8E ! important]fibromyalgia[/COLOR][/COLOR], so I take Lyrica as well. (of course some people think this is no big deal - but, I know it is real as far as my pain issues - and Lyrica has certainly changed my life in that regard).
I don't have fibro but many people here consider it worse pain than their lupus.
:)
Clare

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
I'm on Cymbalta for depression, and have been for over a year. I didn't notice any changes in body aches, but my mom (who may have an autoimmune CTD - we're just starting to look into it) started Cymbalta for mood and aches and has had a dramatic improvement.

Cymbalta has been very effective for depression. I had refused to take it for several years, due to bad experiences in the 90s with a similar drug, Effexor. Eventually, I became so depressed and was willing to try anything, and I'm glad I gave it a shot!

My rheumatologist was really excited when I went on Cymbalta. Her patients have done really well and have experienced pain relief/reduction of physical symptoms with Cymbalta, in addition to antidepression.

Effexor (which was reformulated after I was on it) can also be quite helpful for body aches and pains. Both drugs are selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. Personally, I prefer Cymbalta, and have been very surprised that I haven't experienced any of the negative side effects I experienced with Effexor. So, if one of these drugs doesn't work for you, there's always a chance you'll do better on the other!

Please feel free to contact me via e-mail/pm if you have further questions. I've been on and off antidepressants for a very long time, and have much experience that I'm happy to share! I have my share of horror stories, but in the end, it's been worth it.

If anyone has questions about side effects, please feel free to contact me. I had some odd start up side effects with Cymbalta. Also, it's very likely that you'll experience a withdrawal syndrome when coming off this med (or Effexor), or even when you miss a dose or two. This is an important thing to consider before going on an SNRI (or some SSRIs, like Paxil). It's worse for some people, and not much of a problem for others, and for most, the withdrawal (or "discontinuation syndrome," as the drug companies like to call it) only lasts 10-14 days. If you've missed a dose or two and suddenly feel crazy, dizzy, sick, or are having brain zaps, it might be because of Cymbalta, not lupus or depression. Again, though, it's a temporary situation, and I feel that, as long as you're aware of the withdrawal, the potential benefits are worth the risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts