TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Im eventually coming around to the idea I may have this.

I am getting no burning when passing urine but have been up all of last night going to the loo.

Quite literally I go and once then go back in bed need to go again. This carried on for 4 hours. No trickles but a generous wee:).

I did stay up to distract myself for 2 of those hours so in all fairness probably went slightly less frequently.
The rest of the night was quite ridiculous and I was just sooooooooooooooo tired. My husband is also tired from all the eventual swearing and flushing keeping him awake!.

Is cystitus a kind of mini infection that can have no burning when passing urine in some?.

I do get lower abdominal pain. Generally uncomfortable to occassional stabbing pains and I have known it to hurt quite a lot on occassions.

Once I had a bacterial infection with above symtoms.
The other I still had the symptoms but no infection.

This does seem to be more prevalent in people with lupus I think I remember reading here.
Could all the above be confirmed?.

I also wanted to add that I feel as if the nerve that stimulates the need to pass urine is constantly switched on.

Thanks
Nicky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,

Yeah, I have the same problem. Always switched on. Never any infection or anything. As no doctors ever help me with this, I decided to ask for drugs that decrease urine output. Mine is called Urispas, but there are others..Detrol LA etc. They have revolutionized my life....I can sleep and travel and I can deal with it now.

I have concluded that it is a Lupus thing and possibly related to poor kidney function....but I could be wrong.

People with Fibromyalgia also have irritated bladders, but not really related to kidneys.

I also restrict my fluid intake.

You might also want to get tested for Diabetes (Mellitus and Insipidus), just to rule it out...if you have not done so already.

Hope this helps.
bjrem

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Nicky,

I have the same problem and doctors can not find out why.

I also get frequent UTI infections and sometimes pass blood too.

It is frustrating to have to deal with this when your tired and just want to sleep.

I do hope you get it under control.:wink2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry...one more thing:

I know I said that Fibro people often have irritable bladder (technical name for it...like cystitis)....which just means that the bladder is irritated all the time and frequently reacts to certain types of fluids and what is in them, stress and infection etc. Lupus people can have irritated bladders/urethras as well, but usually with a different cause...inflammation. Maybe the bladder/urethra is more susceptable to inflammation after one or two UTIs, or it could just be a normal Lupus disease process. I still think that in some cases it could be related to poor kidney function and needs to be assessed. In my case, it has been years of this (twenty or so)...and my kidneys are now just starting to go downhill.

In any case, it needs to be checked out.

Just my opinion based on personal experience.

bjrem

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Nicky
Cystitis means inflammation of the bladder often from infection It is certainly possible to have an atypical urinary tract infection, without the common burning or frequency symptoms. It is more common in older women perhaps because of estrogen shortage and also changes in the balance of secretions. UTI's are said to be more common in women with lupus but last I read nobody knows quite why.

I am just getting over an almost symptomless UTI with so few symptoms such as lower belly niggles and cramps, fatigue and bad temper that I didn't take any notice of them because I was very busy on an art course.
Looking back I hadn't been feeling all that well for a good couple of weeks before I conked out, very unwell, exhausted, no appetite and feeling scrambled inside, heart thumping and whatnot. High white blood cells in urine indicated infection.

See your doctor - I don't know where frequency at night with large amounts of urine would fit into the cystitis scene. First think about how often you usually go in the day, how much do you drink in a day and what had you been drinking in the evening and that sort of thing

People with lupus can find it hard to get rid of infections, so "twice as long & twice as strong" can be a handy rule of thumb if it keeps repeating. Tell the doc you don't want a 'sulfa' antibiotic - it's best for us to avoid them as they cause a reaction so often.

I need to check today that mine has cleared up. I think infection can go up to the kidney if not treated but I haven't heard that UTI's cause or result from lupus nephritis
There's no point speculating is there. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck with it Nicky

Clare

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Nicky :hug: Does not sound like so much fun to me, up all night :(

My distant (and I hope they stay distant :eek:) memories of cystitis in my teens and twenties were not those of generous amounts of wee :) and no stinging sensations, far from it, more like trickles and plenty of them and lots of squeals of yoweeeeeeee and the like :wink2:

Docs for you I think it, could be a lot of things, one way to find out :)

Good luck,

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello,

I would agree with everyone that this needs looking into by the doc. It could be so many things.

I certainly wouldn't take anything yourself without knowing what it is and if it is cystitis limiting fluid intake would be very bad.

I used to get periods of frequent UTIs which seem, thankfully, to have stopped. Certainly never pleasant - in fact it must be rated with some of the worst I'm sure :eek:

Let us know what the doc says,
hugs to you,
Katharine

·
Registered
60 Posts
HI,
I few years back I had the symptoms of feeling frequent urge to go and also very sore lower abdomen along with it, like a constant ache, although there was no infection at all I was MISERABLE all the time .went throught the relms of doctors, ending up at a urologist,, he never named it cystitus but now I believe that is what it was, he told me to AVOID all acid foods and drinks, tomato products especially, no caffine and no soda pop, that left water and artificial flavored drinks like lemonade but not real lemonade, to my amazement the symptoms left ,, after a torturous 5 months. there are web pages on cystitus that offer list of foods that trigger and cause the inflamation of the bladder, I urge you to try this , it was a huge relief for me to find a way to feel normal again, Karen

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok , thanks all for all your information. Im going to take on board everything said and get it looked into.

I did talk to my doctor about it a while ago and she prodded and could not come up with anything. She did say that lupus can cause all sorts of things and this could be one of them.

I shall go back to her as she does try to always be very helpful. Im just not sure what she can or will do.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks so very much again your all great:)

Nx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Just to let you know...the drugs that I take to decrease my urine output are prescribed by my doc...and they were only given to me after there was never a sign of infection or diabetes or what-have-you...I am just starting to show kidney problems now and that makes me think that the urine output is and was kidney related all along. If they get any worse, I will stop the bladder meds. As far as know, one of the standard treatments for excessively high urine output is to decrease urine output, so the input can be proportionate to the output. Having and overactive bladder is very limiting and embarrasing for some people, plus it can easily lead to dehydration. I also believe what K-Marie mentioned about diets and liquids and how they can affect the bladder etc. I have done that as well and it did help.

Take care of yourself.
bjrem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts