The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been on this? My rheumy just prescribed it to help with the pain but I've never been on it before so I was curious. I'm currently on a variety of meds and just hate how I have to keep adding things. What are the side effects of Darvocet?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
For me it helped the best with the pain...but I could have been hit by a car and not known it. It made me like a zombie and I stopped it almost as soon as I started it. It is an EXTREMELY stong pain killer and can be addictive if taken for long periods.

I hope you dion't need it for long and that they can try alternatives if possible.

Everyone reacts differently to meds, so perhaps others will have different feedback.

Sorry - Stephanie

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your thoughts on it. I've recently started MTX so I think this is just a stop-gap med until we get the right MTX dosage. Unfortunately, my body isn't adjusting too well to the MTX so we need to go slowly and I am only on 10mg and when I go back to my rheumy in 3 weeks, I may need break the dosage into two days instead of just one.
I just took one of the Darvocets to see how it affects me since I am a SAHM to a 3 year old and a 4year old. The vicodins were way to strong for me a(couldn't take care of the kids) and the max dose of Mobic isn't keeping the pain away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i take darvocet as needed for pain. my doctor was very reluctant to prescribe any opiods for my pain, especially since i have a history of addiction. so hopefully you will consider the risk of addiction carefully, it is real and can happen to anyone, especially with people in chronic pain...in my opinion.

it helps me much more than plain old tylenol. (darvocet is made of prophoxyphene, an opioid analgesic, which enhances the effects of tylenol) i ended up in the hospital with aseptic meningitis for a week because i was taking too much ibuprofen and aleve for pain. my doc said there is a link between meningitis and people with lupus who take too much aleve and advil. tylenol couldn't touch my pain and the quality of my life was poor.

so i decided to go ahead and try it even though it could be a slippery slope for me. also autoimmune pain is so complicated, eh? once we know we can get relief from chronic pain from a pill who would want to give it up?? another thing to think about is that opiods can easily build a tolerance leaving any person to need more of the drug to get the same effect. some thoughts.

it helps my muscles relax. i feel more mellow which helps me deal with pain (vs getting super tensed up). the pain is less severe for me, so i can manage more easily. i usually get a headache during and after, especially when i don't take more of it after a stretch. i have felt slightly nauseas and slightly lightheaded on occasion. often times i want to take more of it (like taking 2 instead of one) than i have been prescribed so be careful to take it only as prescribed. everybody, of course reacts differently.

i think you are doing the exact right thing by looking into it and learning more about the medication. i hope it doesn't sound like i'm discouraging you. for me, my bottom line is because i'm a recovering person taking darvocet means greater risk. (and yet) sometimes i just need relief from the pain so i have to take it consciously. i just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with you.

i'm really sorry you are in so much pain. i'm sure you will make the best decision for yourself, with your doctor's help. just be aware and weigh the risks and benefits for yourself.

sending you relief and best wishes

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, am considering taking Darvocet for pain. I was prescribed Darvocet after recent surgery and found that it helped so much with the pain associated with lupus. I think the trick to using any kind of pain medication is to only use it when the pain is at its absolute worst. It is really hard not to take medicine when it's there, but it's about self control. I hope that I'll be able to exhibit some if I do decide to get a prescription for it. Thanks for all the insight and good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have taken Darvocet for years and have not needed an increase. I say enjoy what relief you can get from it and don't worry about addiction problems. Chronic pain people rarely become addicted to pain meds. It can make you a little woozy and sick to your stomach. I advise eating something with it. Good Luck!
Laura

·
Registered
467 Posts
my two cents

personally i haven't taken darvocet since i was 16 after a surgery. it took away my pain.
now i take dilaudid and fentanyl, (yes they are opiates) two exteamly strong meds, dilaudid is actually sold on streets by dealers so its very controlled, have to show id and keep it in a safe. i take my pain meds on a schdule, my doctor and i decided that to keep a certain level of pain medication in my system as opposed to chasing pain with the meds.
as far as addiction go, anything can be addictive. but usually when you are in severe pain its only gonna take care of the pain not get you high. if you do become physically addicted and need to go off there are ways doctors can do that so that its not ugly.

just my two cents, i don't believe anyone should be in debliateing pain.

hugs and kisses

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been taking the darvocets on a regular basis to stay in front of the pain and I don't feel "high" or anything on it. It takes my pain away which is why I love it but think if I didn't have the pain then I don't know if I would even consider taking it as I don't feel any other effects. Does that make sense?
I hope everyone finds some relief to the pain.

·
Registered
467 Posts
makes perfect sence to me. hey if it keeps the pain away i'm all for it!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

i know taking pill after pill gets real old. i often think about just stopping everything...like right now. but then my joints start hurting and i can't sleep so that idea ususally just flies out the window.
stay strong and out of pain.

hugs and kisses

·
Administrator
10,181 Posts
Hi Sarah,

This is a very old post and the member has not been on the site for some time.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts