The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking this pretty consistently now for six months. It works most of the time, but am wondering if anybody takes anything else for the pain. I don't mean NSAIDs, which make me sick. I mean something similar to this. I don't get lightheaded, but I do get nauseous. And the pain only gets bad with the change in temperatures, which Chicago is famous for. Does anyone else experience this?

·
11,410 Posts
Hi Peach,

I moved you post and started a new thread for you. This way you won't get lost in someones thread and more people will see you questions here.

Oh, yes changing of weather can set off my lupus in a second. I always thought we would be great weatherladies.:wink2: I am in Iowa and we have the same lovely weather you have.

There is a variety of pain meds that you can take. You need to talk to your doctor and tell him what you are experiencing.

Do you have lupus? What meds are you taking?

Have a good look around the site.
Take care.
Lyn

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the site.

Weather changes here in Jersey, like Chicago will certainly make the joints hurt worse and other symptoms flare. I am sorry that your dealing with this too.

I agree that you should chat with your doctor about something else for pain. He would be best to know what to give you depending on your exact symptoms.

I do have different things I can take for pain but it really depends on what type of pain I am dealing with. ie: Joint, Muscle, Migraine, etc...

I hope you get some relief moving ahead and let us know what your doctor says.:wink2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I do have SLE and have been on various pain meds. I only take plaquenil and an antidepressant at the moment. Plus the darvocet. But the weather brings the worst with it, and you're right, we should be weatherladies! My friend at work tells me I'm the best indicator that there will be heavy rainfall! One time the weatherman said no rain, I told her I was in a lot of pain and so she brought her umbrella. Guess what? It poured! Thank you for your reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Karol, I have different types of pain, too. For instance, I have fibromyalgia that came out when the weather dipped below 60. But I also get a burning sensation in my muscles - do you get that? That one is the hardest to address. I cry everytime until it passes, which can be anywhere between ten minutes and a couple of hours. My doctor is aware, but she only has more medicines to give me and I am really fed up with taking tons of medicine. Not because I want to suffer, but because medicines bring side effects. I used to take methotrexate and that brought on too much trouble for the relief. What types of meds do you take? I realize we're not doctors, but we help each other with whatever we know that will work, right? Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. I t is a great place to find info and support. Pain is so difficult to treat, especially chronic pain. I understand you are sick of pills, but sometimes it is the only way. Alternative methods of pain relief are heat, hot bath or shower, wheat pack etc or ice. Fibromyalgia pain can respond to low dose anti depressants such as amitriptyline or other meds such as gabapentin. You need to chat to your doc to work out an acceptable regime of pain management for you. Maybe they could refer you to a pain clinic?

I hope you can get things sorted with your doc.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I take Percocet 10mg, Maltrex for migraines, fentynal patch worn for 72 hours for continuous pain relief, Advil if the pain is not too bad, etc....you get the idea.

I do get muscle burning pain a lot and I think they may be attributed to nerve damage, at least in my case. Ativan, a anti anxiety drug is sometimes used here to help along with Neurontin, etc...

I am sorry your dealing with chronic pain and mine does get worse with the weather changes. I hope you can chat with your doctor and get on something that can provide continuous relief for you. A Pain clinic may be in order here.

Good luck and let us know how you get along.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Deb, wow my husband is from the West Midlands! Thanks for your reply. I have been back and forth with my doctor over the years. Last year I only needed to see her once (it's always around beginning of September) and she's tried all kinds of therapies on me. We've done the pain clinic, too. I'm not always in pain, but when the weather changes (summer to fall mostly) and I'm stressed out from my job, the fibromyalgia rears it's ugly head. It's harder to address, and I don't knock pain meds, when other solutions don't work they are the only thing left to do. But you know how they affect appetite, mood, etc. That's what I don't like about taking medicine. Thanks, again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.