The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi Friends,

I feel a bit silly asking this question. It is more out of curiosity than anything.

I am wondering, if any of you have noticed after a bathe or shower, while
drying off..that you have dead skin sloughing off on your towels? I have red towels, so it is very noticeable. I used a loofah also, while bathing to exfoliate.

I don't mean just a little dead skin...but A lot of it.

My husband also noticed when he turned our mattress, that on my side of the bed, on the box spring, dead skin was piled high. Gross..I know. :lol:

Is this anything that you have noticed? I imagine, it is because of some of my meds..? At any rate, considering all the other things we lupies deal with, it is not at the top of the list, but I am curious, to know if this is something, any of you have noticed about your skin?

Thank you, for all your kind and thoughtful replies as always,
Love,
Sandy :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Sandy,

NO, this does not happen to me. How long has this been going on with you and have you mentioned it to your Rheumy or Dermatologist? I am not sure what to make of it.

Possibly if your using a lot of lotion then it may be that sluffing off but certainly this is a guess at best.

I will be watching this thread to see what others have to say about this. The only area of very dry skin I have is in the Malar Rash region, over the nose and outward to the cheek bones.

I hope you get this resolved. It is not painful but I am sure very annoying.:rolleyes:

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Sandy,

Have you changed any soaps, shampoos of that sort?
Do you put lotion on after a shower?

Sorry I am not much help.

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Karol and Lyn,

Thank you, for your replies.

No, it doesn't matter what soaps I use. I don't use a lot of lotions either.

It has been going on for several years. It isn't painful, at all.
Just kinda gross. When I dry my legs..the dead skin just rolls off on to the towel. I showed it to my husband. He was throughly grossed out! :lol:

I haven't mentioned it to any of my dr's yet. I supposed I should, and will next
time I see my dermy.

Thank you,
Sandy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I get this to some degree, mostly on my ankle area of my feet. Not to the extent that you can see it on sheets, but on towels, definitely. I find that using the St Ives exfoliating apricot scrub helps to control this. If it gets really bad, I use "Jafra" almond body oil. Also, the Jafra foot lotion, peppermint scent, helps to calm this down in summer.
Sally

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sandy,
Sometimes it can be season related. I would try a good hydration cream to help with the drying of the skin. Even with a lufa sponge there can be soap left behind that dries out the skin, you maybe more sensative to this.

Make sure it is a cream and not a lotion as they need applied more often then the creams do and they also soak in better. Give it a month of use and if you are still having the problem I would contact a dermy to see if there is something else going on that has only that symptom. Sometimes medicaide creams are needed to get past this and then you can use over the counter things.

I hope that you feel better and stop shedding soon lol.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have a notion that with these diseases skin cell growth can get speeded up. I definitely read that as an explanation of 'lupus hair'. The hair looks shorter as if it had broken off round the face. In fact the growing cycle is accelerated so the hair drops out before it has reached full length.

My theory is that by exfoliating and rubbing dry you might be speeding up that cell production or at least drawing attention to it. The advice is to pat almost dry then apply the moisturiser which should be heavy duty, the more urea the better. Really dry skin might need a prescription moisturiser such as diabetics use.

The other point is that the more you soak skin in water the more the skin will swell and peel off. Mostly people wash far too often these days and use too hot water than is good for skin and hair, not to mention the harmful effects of most soaps and many body lotions.

Worth thinking about anyway !

:hehe:

Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Just so you don't feel like you are the only one... I get this too. First noticed it last year and it continues to this day. It is disgusting to see that amount of skin coming off on your towel (& more disgusting is the rolled up little wads of skin that stays stuck on my chest area in particular).

It is not painful for me at all either.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi,

I've always assumed it was from my Sjogrens :) My skin is appallingly dry. It's much worse if I don't use a soap substitute like Cetaphil, QV Wash or the likes (instead of soap), then put on some pretty heavy duty moisturiser after my shower. That seems to help it at least some.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your insights.

When I bathe, and shave my legs, I do use Bath and Body Works..Skin Repair
Healing Body Butter, with Shea and Jojoba Butters. It is a really heavy and thick cream. I only apply it once after a bath or shower.

Lily, I never considered that it may be related to the Sjogren's. Thank you, for reminding me it's possible influence.

Thanks again everyone,
Sandy

·
Registered
416 Posts
All of those dead skin cells are due to an unusually high level of cell death/turnover which could mean your autoimmune disease is not well controlled. Just a thought.

Barb

·
Registered
416 Posts
Clare.T;546601 said:
I definitely read that as an explanation of 'lupus hair'. The hair looks shorter as if it had broken off round the face. In fact the growing cycle is accelerated so the hair drops out before it has reached full length.
So that explains what has been happening with my hair! I have been trying to figure out why my hair never gets beyond a certain length around my face for years but have never been able to find an explanation. I posted my previous post before seeing your post, Clare. Accelerated cell turnover is definitely the culprit.

Barb

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
You not alone with this...I thought it was related to my Sjogrens...as I have read up on Sjogrens and it appears to cause people to get very dry skin

Sheila x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't have dry skin at all... so that's not the culprit for me. I'm starting to think it's the accelerated cell turnover rates that you mentioned Clare. I do have the lupus hair's too - I've had that for a long time but this skin issue just started in the last 1-2 years.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ha, you learn something new every day... My skin has always done that, but I've never really thought about it (cos it's always done it!)

:hehe:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts