The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Today and the last few weeks I have been dealing with really painfully ribs. It hurts to breath, wear a bra, sleep on my side, or even to walk. I know it is just a flare, but I am sick of being in pain.:p

Does anyone out there have rib pain. If so do you have any suggestions for relieving the pain. I would appreciate the help.:)

Other than that the week has gone well and I am looking forward to the weekend, even though it will be a hot one here in upstate NY. Hope the weather where you are is good and you can get out and about.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Cocoo,

I'm sorry to hear about your rib - yes it can hurt a lot, and last a long time too.

Probably the best treatment is anti-inflamatory medication. Are you on one already? Examples are meloxicam, ibuprofen, voltarol, asprin. I woudn't just take aby old over the counter med, but go to a doctor and het something prescribed for you. At the same time the doctor should listen to your lungs to make sure it reall is the rib, and not lung inflamation (although the description you give sounds very much like it is the ribs).

Take care,

X C X

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with Cath about getting checked out

Lupus can attack any organ in the body mainly though Lungs Heart and Kidneys but can also attack other areas. I had a friend of mine that was going through rib pain a while back ago and they got an Xray done and found torn cartilage between the rib cage. Can't remember what they called it but it caused them pain alot. Then we have the lupus pleuritic pain that goes along with lupus and that can be painful when breathing. About the only thing to relieve that is what Cath mentioned. Might pay to get it checked out too. Could be inflamation going on also. Hope you feel better soon!:worried:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi CooCoo,

I'm with you on the rib pain!! I've had it for 7 weeks and the docs aren't sure what's causing it. My bloods are all fine so they don't think it's a flare unless it's hiding somewhere. :hehe:

I've had xrays done, been on pred, anti-inflammatories and the only thing that helps me is Tramadol, heat and rest. I'm going for a bone scan on the 19th to see if that shows up anything.

Could it be costochondritis? Is it the left or right side that hurts? Mine is the left and I can't sleep on it so have to put pillows at my back to stop me rolling over. I also have 'V' shaped pillow which I use as a support when I'm resting. I'm like Linus as I take it everywhere with me. :lol:

Hope you feel better soon, I really can sympathise with you.

Very very gentle hugz, :hugbetter:

Pam xxx

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have had rib pain since being diagnosed with Lupus 2+ years ago. It is the lining of my lung (pluera?) that is inflammed. When I'm really bad, I also get inflammation around the abdomen and heart. I am having a serious bout of pericarditis right now:sad: When my lung is inflammed, it brings tears to my eyes whenever I sneeze, yawn, cougph, etc. I discribe the pain like a raw wound. The doctors always look at me funny, but I don't know how else to discribe it. The condition is called serositis. Anyway, they just treat it the same as any other inflammation. I'm currently on prednisone, methotrexate and hydromorphone for pain. I can't take anti-inflammatories because of coumadin, but it may help if you can take them.

I hope they find out quickly what this is and get you some relief.

Nutty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I will try a couple of the things. It is on both sides and it has been with me for many years. The doctors always say that it is inflamtion of the tissue, they think.

Last time no issue with lungs or breathing.

Thanks for the love.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Hi Christine,

I can't say anything to help you as I havn't had what you are dealing with... But just wanted to say I hope you can get something to help deal with the pain soon and that you feel better...

Take care

love Penny

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi hope you feeling better i had somethink like that so as bad as yours sound tho mine was more like tight feeling and spasms in my right side like when your preg and the baby laying in a funny spot like its feet in your ribs well that type of thing if you can make sence of that i had ultra scan and was all normal even tho i had it after its had stoped

have you found anythink thats helping

hugzzzz wendy

·
Registered
391 Posts
CooCoo,
My doc recently injected painful spots with Vitamin B12 as it was costo caused by a flare. See my post in medications. Hope it helps!

Mamascan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts