The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from rheum, and bummer he is upping metho to 20 mg a week. And got cortisone shot in ankle cause all joints in foot are inflammed. Have been on 15 mg MTX for a year but lately having issues again.:worried: Have been working fulltime as teacher and having tough times with all the walking and catching germs from 7 years olds. Now more MTX - oh swell. Wondering if there is anything I can do to boost my immunity? Anything anyone feels is helpful? Very bummed right now, and feet hurt and feeling mighty blue. Your support is always helpful, esp when Lupus is not under control.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I'll just hope for you that increasing the methotrexate does the trick - and the upcoming summer vacation will give you a break from all those school house germs! Sounds like you are in a rough spot right now... (((Hugs)))

As for boosting your immunity, generally speaking that's not something you want to do. The only things I can really recommend is to eat a healthful diet, with fruits/vitamin C, and to get enough sleep. Eating refined sugar is also known to be quite bad for the immune system, it lowers immune functioning if you eat just 400 calories from sugar in one sitting. When I'm at risk for catching something from DD or when it's that time of year, I try to be more careful about what I'm eating, especially sources of refined sugar.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry you are not feeling well right now...hopefully the increase in meds will get you back to feeling better.

I am also a teacher..so I know what you mean about catching every germ that crosses your desk!! As Maia said, I dont think we are supposed to "boost" our immune system. During cold/flu season, I always had hand gel on my desk, windows/doors opened..and I was fortunate to have a sink in my classroom, so I would have a hand washing time for all my students and myself! And watching the refined foods is a great idea too!

It doesn't prevent every germ, but cut down on my getting sick about 85%

Feel better...summer vacation is almost around the corner :)
Sharon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts