TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No more. I'm going to schedule the sleep study. If I really have apnea (and the preliminary test seems to indicate I have it quite severely, then fixing that would help me feel better. I understand that a big chunk of it is going to end up being debt, but right now I'm fed up with everything and if I don't feel better than being debt-free (which we are except for the car and mortgage) will be meaningless.

Sunny

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
All the very best. Making a decision is always so difficult, it seems. But it is also half the job.
Good luck! And do keep us posted on it all.
Douglas+

·
Nettyunicorn
133 Posts
Just like to say good luck, i was dx'd with obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea just before xmas! I have now had the machine for a few months and i have had an improvement with my fatigue. Its not all gone coz of the other issues but i can really tell it has improved.
Good luck again!

Nettyxxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sunny:

I had a sleep study and was DX with OAS. The CPAP machine has improved my life substantially.

If your insurance wont cover it, I would have a discussion with them as to why not! If you don't have insurance, perhaps you could get the study done at a university or leaning center, or discuss with the Sleep center how to reduce the costs. All of these areas are VERY agreeable to working with you and or your insurance company.

The CPAP machine is very expensive, tho they do have less expensive units...you need to talk to them about this as well...You may be able to get a refurbished one, or an older model for less money.

Best of luck to you, I believe that you are making the right choice!

Stephanie

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi Sunny, My husband went thru the study July 31 and received his machine shortly after. He is doing great and wishes he would have listened to me years ago and taken the test. (He is very stubborn when it comes to seeing MD's) It is very sad that here in the States, insurance companies control and compromise our health. We were fortunate that thou my Husband is now retired, he is still covered and they picked up the $3000.00 for the machine. Just go for it and feel better. I would trade everything to have my good health back. Material things just clutter our lives. Sending you good thoughts. Rose

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Sunny,
I think you have done the right thing with at least having it checked. The machine does help with you feeling a little better as far as the headaches, some of the fatigue, when you do sleep it is a better quality of sleep, and you do get a little more energy. I wish you all the best with the sleep study test and let us know how it goes please. I am not sure if you have insurance but in most cases it will cover some if not all of the cost of the test and machine and supplies. Look into it if you do have any insurance as it is worth the extra info. You can also check and see if there is any help with the hospital you have the study with sometimes if there is no insurance they can help with the cost of the test. I hope this helps a little as I do have sleep apnea and am glad I found out it is one less thing to worry about now.

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi Sunny,

My daughter had the sleep study done last year. She did have some sleep apnea but not bad enough to need a machine. The important find was that she never really sleeps. Every 4 seconds she cycled out of a deep sleep. She was relieved to know the fatigue was not just all in her head. Since then the doctor has experimented with medications to help put her in a deeper sleep for a longer period of time which has lessened the degree of pain.

Good luck. I hope you get the answers you need to help make your life more comfortable.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Sunny,

Have you had your sleep study done yet and if so, how did you make out? I hope moving forward your dong better today.

I had a sleep study done that showed severe obstructive sleep apnea. I got the machine and they had to adjust the air flow titration 3 times. I started at 10lbs of air pressue and eventually got up to 16 lbs of pressure. I actually sent the machine back because it was too uncomfortable for me to even sleep with it.

My brother in law using this machine as well as a friend of mine and they swear by it. They say it has made their quality of life much better.

Check in and let us know where your at in your endevors towards improved sleep. Thinking of you.

·
Banned
808 Posts
(((Sunny)))

Wishing you all the best with it, hope that it provides some answers and you are able to get some much needed help.

with love xx

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Sunny
I am very sorry you got this wretched doctor. Too many of them need to be strung up and made to suffer constantly with the meds just out of reach.

Good Luck with the sleep study.

Love and gentle hugs
Clare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts