TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Marika
349 Posts
I must be the exception to the rule....because my sense of smell is incredible.....my ex hubby who is an alcoholic didn' stand a chance with me.
I can smell if a woman has her period, when people walk into aroom their socks ect. I myself never go out without perfume to try and cover some of the smells I encounter day to day. I have evn thrown up in the street because of the local brewery brewing beer....I've knocked on peoples doors to tell them I can smell a gas leak..honestly,,,

A little less might be a good thing for me:worried::worried:

love Marikaxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That is interesting and thanks for posting it. It makes sense to think of all the brain's sensory abilities in evaluating for possible NPSLE or CNS lupus.

I have a terribly acute sense of smell though - far better than most people. But Hubby can't smell practically anything although I wondered if it was a matter of convenience when he couldn't smell a dirty diaper or urine in her bedding! *laughs*

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am so glad someone mentioned this research again today because I missed it previously. I have been having CNS problems which still haven't been completely diagnosed but autoimmune disease (lupus or MCTD) is definitely involved and I have lost my sense of smell! My husband and children have always referred to me as "nuclear nose" because I have had such an acute sense of smell but over the past two to three years (since the CNS symptoms started appearing) I have lost my sense of smell, can't smell much of anything and if I do smell something, I can't tell what it is or where it's coming from. I have also developed a bad case of tinnitus and have hearing loss. I need to remember to tell by neurologist as well as my rheumatologist about it.

Barb

·
Registered
580 Posts
it makes me go hmmmm, and wonder because my daughter doesnt have a sense of smell. and sometimes i wonder why.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
There are lots of reasons for loss of sense of smell and I am sure that sometimes there is no particular reason or is not due to the other serious neurological diseases that can can also cause loss of smell, as itemised in the article. It is hardly surprising that neuroligcical conditons cause cause loss of semell considering all the other effects that can be caused by neurological abnormalities. They include smelling imaginary smells which also seems fairly common in lupus.
According to this report the incidence of smell loss in the healthy population is 1% but in those peope with lupus in the study it was 10%, hardly a large number of those who have lupus. Who knows maybe this will come to be among the alternative criteria but surely it is neither necessary or useful to start fearing that people with a diminished sense of smell might have lupus.

They will be showing far more significant signs.
It is a good idea to mention all abnormalities to your doctors as they might be important clues to the real nature of the illness, to accurate diagnosis.
:)
Cheers
Clare

1 - 6 of 6 Posts