The Lupus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been googling to try and find a little more info about 'why' Im getting all these infections/abscesses. I have one now. Looking to see if its medications, lupus, lowered immune system etc, lichen planus rearing its head etc.

This article was of interest, not astounding but anyone who reads/critques it would be good.

http://www.vrs.org.uk/articles/immune-system-disorders.html

Nicky

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Nicky, that was really interesting, thanks for posting that. I am on steroids and am suffering with a terrible dry mouth, blood blisters and other weird and wonderful things in my mouth. I am putting off going to the dentist. I didn't know to increase my steroids if I have any treatment.

It does bother me because the dentist never looks at my form to see what I have or what meds I am on. Yet it is really important.

Sorry you are getting so many infections, are you having a lot of dental work done? Or is it just one of those things? Hope you improve soon.

Deb x

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Deb

Wierd and wonderful sounds about right in description to my mouth.

Have been having lots of infections and teeth crumbling , falling away around fillings , teeth out because of infections etc.

Be a bit cautious about upping the steriods as Im not totally confident about the sight and would hate to find out that the advise is not a good idea.

I will ask my dentist about that and likewise Im sure you will too and post back info,
If its true then why dont they tell you these things.

I posted a while ago about my teeth, The stroy goes on and on,

I have antibiotics and I have no pain last night and today so horrayy,
Not looking forward to root canal treatment on Wednesday,

I do have a year long lichen planus rash and it has and does affect my mouth, although now its symtoms have decreased immensly and Im still on steroids Im wondering if the mouth things are medications I take steroids included, lichen, lupus or as my dentist said " if your i mmune system is not good then Im more likely to get teeth problems as I have trouble fightly off the infections.

Sorry Deb I only meant to write a sentence or two!

Hope you get some relief and some answers, If you know any more then post!

Nicky:)

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Nicky all the best for your root canal treatment, it is not pleasant. My front teeth are disintegrating, I have put off going as I don't want painful treatment, I am a coward!!

I have unusual swellings in my mouth and the dentist said it was my immune system. He was a stand in dentist and really good. My usual dentist doesn't seem interested. Which doesn't give you the motivation to go. I need to though as the blood blisters are getting so bad.

I hope Wednesday goes well for you.

Take care

Deb x

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Best of luck with your root canal this Wednesday.

I have had severe issues with my teeth too, not so much infections yet my gums are receding so badly and quickly that the nerve is exposed making it virtually impossible to eat without pain and sensitivity. My dentist never looks at my chart either to see what meds I am on either.:mad::mad::mad:

Let us know Nicky how it goes this week. I will be thinking of you.;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting article and discussion. After a lifetime of pretty much perfect dental health, I suddenly ended up with an abscessed tooth (apparently caused by infected mouth sores around the tooth) that recently had to be pulled. At the time I was using prednisone, methotrexate, and hydrochloroquinine.

I can't decide whether the treatments are better or worse than the disease.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi

Have also had dental issues recently. Havent been for 12 years because I hate it so much, my fillings have never stayed in and my face swells up and I have loads of abcesses. Had a wisdom tooth out recently but as my gums were inflamed before hand the dentist gave me eythomysim (terrible spelling). Couldn't take the antibiotics as they made me dizzy and I felt really ill on them so I stopped taking them.

The dentist was lovely and thoughtful and didn't give me lignacane but ended up with loads of some other stuff but at least my face didnt swell up. I now have awful pains in the other side of my mouth and I think its toothache again. But I do get alot of neuralga in my teeth and jaw so will try for one more week on co codamol.

I am the biggest baby when it comes to the dentist, have had far worse things go wrong with my body but the dentist just freaks me out. LOL.

Bessie

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nicky,
Thanks for the link, I found it informative. I have had some oral issues. Swallowing can on occassions be a problem for me, as can clearing my chest; but I think that may have more to do with hypothyroidism. I recognise the difficulties in opening my mouth as much as I could some years ago. The dentist can have some difficulty on occassions.
I loved, curry, still do, but I cannot eat it. Many things now give me problems, not just foods, even toothpaste can be too strong for my mouth, but I carry on.
Now unfortunately, I am loosing teeth, large chunks; without any obvious signs of external decay. I know dentine (tooth pulp) is part of the connective tissue system, so there is an 'obvious' link; but the difficulty I have in the UK is getting the GP and dentist to act collectively. The dentist of course has no clue about AI issues, and many now will NOT treat me for they fear they might do something wrong; wheras the GP will not tackle dental/oral health issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I had oral surgery back in 2009. It seems as though I had several traumatic cysts in my jaw bone for NO APPARENT REASON that appeared on my annual x-rays. I didn't have any pain or complaints. Went to an Oral surgeon and had them extracted. They want to take biopsies but it was found to be empty "air" pockets. Is there a correlation between this and lupus?

Leanne

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi
Since ive had auto immune problems ive had 5 root canals done with 5 asbcesses ,
my last asbcess took 4 months to heal.
my dentist is excellent ive also been seen at dental hospital and am to go there for any tooth extractions to my chronic health conditions.

treatment wise my dentist has only come across one patient with RA.
consultant no one with Lupus,They advised good oral hygiene,not miss check ups as things for us orally can change quickly.
tell them any drug changes if i was on steriods long term id be seen only at hospital,due to higher infection risk.

so reading what i have im so grateful for good dental care,they amanged save all those teeth with abscess but took alot time work to do so..grr

my mouth is also dry.naproxen reason for that so sip water often seems help as only mildly dry.

the enamel on mine are strong thankfully thats seems to help.

there is a need for more education among some dentists,as with doctors im sure.

but on whole..im sticking with my dentist unless he retires or i move to far away.

I have lesions in my face due to rough extraction previous dentist did,ahd see a consutlant but said nothing can do.

sorry hear your lack cared Debatat.
they do have oblgiation to fill form of your drugs,conditions and base treatment around that if they arent id be wary seen by them.

there is a change to way things should be done as result of say steriods, methotrexate.

i now make point asking for form if any changes to my medication or new conditons diagnsoed,so eevryone who treats me.
thanks for link very good info.

Countrylass

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reply to 'Old thread' Dental Hygiene

Hello to the both of you who replied to my old thread.

Whilst I was convinced there was a correlation by coincidence or unscientific fact that Ive had more problems since lupus symptoms with regard to my teeth espically infections etc Im not sure wether it is aged related , medication influenced ( esp dry mouth), dental fillings in the past \i didnt need causing irritation.
There are so many variables.

I do think that its quite possible that from time to time everybody gets a potential for infection and the body clears it.
As we age and in lupus our immune systems are inadequate due to being compromised or we get run down so to speak and our natrual propensity to clear off an achy tooth dosnt happen.

There you may have it.

The court is still out as they say in old blighty
xxx

·
11,410 Posts
As Nicky has said this is a very old thread. Oct. 10, 2009.

If you want you can start your own thread to get posts that are directed at you.

I am going to close this thread so there isn't anymore confusion.

Love,
Lyn

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.