The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a bone density scan who is younger? I'm 25 and just had my first one last week. My vertebrae T score was -0.8 and My hips were -1.1 so slight loss. We thought it would be a good idea to get a baseline since I've been on prednisone for a few years now. So, I've been told to up my calcium uptake and that should be sufficient. Anyone have a large loss with prednisone?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I am considerably older than you and am lucky enough to still enjoy good bone density despite years of Pred.
I know I am lucky and I do still go for monitoring of it. I was very sporty when I was younger, I think that helped me develop good bone density.
x Lola

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I had some done before lupus because I was a participant in a study when I was in my late 20's. My results were above average at that time (about 0.5 to 1 standard deviation above average whereas yours are up to 1.1 standard deviations below average).

I also did a lot of sports (gymnastics, ballet, basketball, horseback riding) when I was younger so I attributed my strong bones to that. In my twenties I continued to be active and also lifted weights twice a week...

I had another one done last year and am fine/average, but I've lost some bone and my good standing! A few places were now below the average for my age by up to 0.5 standard deviations. I attribute the loss to not exercising as much anymore and perhaps some to a total of about 9 months of prednisone use.

Personally, I think lifting weights and doing weight bearing exercise is the best thing you can do (combined with sufficient calcium and vitamin D & K intake).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I currently do Taekwondo twice week for 2 hours a week and I do think that helps. Before that I was doing a lot of walking/swimming/weight lifting. I've been on and off prednisone for a few years with a chronic dose of up to 20mg. I think I am going to add some short bursts of weight lifting back in. My apartment has a little workout center with weights and if that doesn't work I can buy a couple of hand weights. I'm also going to try to make my calcium chews a habit with all my other pills. And, I'm also of small stature which I've been told is not as good for your bones.

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Last year I discovered I had developed osteopenia and osteoporosis partially due to Prednisone. I had always been active until 4 years ago. Unfortunately I had a few other risk factors such as family history, race, frame size, and hyperthyroidism.

Prior to finding out I was already taking Calcium with Vitamin D and Actonel. Since I hadn't been on Actonel for very long I will be interested in seeing the results of my next scan in March.

Some exercises are better than others for osteoporosis. Swimming and bike riding are great but they are not weight bearing so do not help with osteoporosis. Mixing up what you do each day is best.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
Hi there,

I am also 25 and I had a dexa scan done last year when I was 24. I had been on a low dose of prednisone for only about 7 months so far and I was already classified as having osteoporosis in my hip and spine. I think my t-score is approximately -2.8.

In my case, the doctors said it probably made things worse that I am underweight -- it makes you more susceptible to getting osteoporosis, so it may have sped it up in my case. The unfortunate thing is that I was taking both calcium and vitamin D for nearly a year prior to the dexa scan (months prior to starting the prednisone) due to a severe vitamin D deficiency. I take the larger doses of D (50,000 IU)...but I guess those and the 1200 mg calcium per day weren't enough to help me :( Even while only being on 10 mg of prednisone!

I was always pretty active growing up and drink a lot of milk...I figured I had strong bones to start with, but who knows! I try to do exercise regularly and have incorporated some weight-bearing exercise as well (albeit very low weight). I also take Boniva now, although I find that I have a hard time remembering to take it each month. They say it is supposed to be easier since you only take it once a month, but I find that I just can't ever remember it!! I do try real hard though :)

-kit

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Maybe you can take it on the 28th of each month - to kinda match the -2.8 t-score? :) Another suggestion is to enter it into a computer calendar as an appointment with reminders/notifications. I'm curious if you have scheduled/planned follow up appointment DEXA scans to see if the Boniva is helping you?

·
rockstar!
837 Posts
They haven't requested a follow-up dexa so far. I had it in November 2007, so it has been a little over a year now. I have NOT taken the Boniva every single month (as I mentioned...I have trouble remembering it), but I'm trying to fix that. I think part of what I have problems with is just remembering it...and the other part is actually "scheduling" to take the medication. It is really difficult for me to take something and have to sit or stand for 90 minutes. No food or drink. I get very nauseous being up for that long without eating something, so I think that sub-consciously...I dread taking the Boniva!

Trying to suck it up though :) Not sure when we'll do another dexa. I like your idea of taking it on the 28th, ha ha!

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Kit,

Ask your doctor if you can switch to one of the other drugs available. You have to take them once a week but you only have to be upright with no food for 30 minutes. I mark the day on my computer for the day before. That reminds me to put the case on my nightstand so I see it first thing the next morning. I haven't missed any doses since doing this.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts