The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you mentioned,how often is DHEA used.I've read about it ,and was wondering if there is any hormonal monitoring necesary before administering?
Here in USA there is a prescribed one and there's plenty of OTC ones.

Mady

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello mady

I have moved your post from the thread it was on in Introductions to start a new thread. It is better to start new threads for new topics. They will attract people's attention and also it is easier for reference

Judging from this forum, DHEA isn't used much at all. Some previous threads about it can be found here

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/search.php?searchid=109850

If you google ( DHEA) you will find comments about it from Dubois including reasons why it isn't used much. Such as inconsistency of results and uncertainty of possible side effects and lack of knowledge about how it works. Most doctors regard it as an adjunctive at best, although it there is some evidence that it can improve general wellbeing and maybe some benefits for osteoporosis and cholesterol.

A synthetic version, Prestara, has been developed by Genelabs but hasn't so far got FDA appproval.

I have no idea about hormonal testing before taking it or during.

It is highly inadvisable to self treat or buy from a health store because the OTC brands are notoriously unreliable and like any medicine should be taken with medical supervision. The prescription 'sort' is to obtain a reliable product from a compounding pharmacy.
It is not available in the UK.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
My rhemo suggested me trying it and said the side effects would be hair growth and acting like a man :rotfl: but it had to be the compounded one that only certain pharmacies would do and no insurance would pay for it. I tried it for a few months and it did not work for me. I had my gyno run blood work for the levels - which were normal. It is said they work as an inflammatory. But definitely search on here cause I remember talking about it while I was trying it. I would not suggest taking it unless your doctor has suggested it and will follow you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have been taking DHEA for a month now. There have been some noticable changes from this OTC drug.
I would not have thought it was due to DHEA, until Paula mentioned it. There is more hair growth on my face,something i have been trying to rid regularly,, but these are longer hairs and i have one long hair on my forearm that just came out of now where.
As far as acting like a man, fortunatly, there is nothing that indicates that for me.

Thanks for posting this. Now i can say i tried it and I didn't like the side effects and eliminate this supplement for good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts