The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What dosage should one take for lupus? I've read where 50 mg is most common, but I've also read about trials of 200 and 300 mg.

Thank you for your time!

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Dhea

Hi dhea do you have lupus and if you do what medication are you on for it.Every person is diffirent when where you diagnosed and do you take other medication. I take 200mg Palequine twice a day one in the morning and one at night there are others that will post to you with diffrent answers today.Hope you get the answers youare looking for elisabeth:)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi ampky & welcome!

Sorry I can't comment on the drug Dhea as I only take Plaquenil 400mg per day now! I do need to take some painkillers but am unable to use any NSAID's - so am having to suffer with intermittent attacks of pain at present.

I'm sure someone will be along to help you on the issue of Dhea!

Take care,

Lesley

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Wecome to the forum ampky ! :)

DHEA is not available in the UK
It is not a disease modifying medicine for treating lupus but an OTC supplement that might be used as an addition to other medications.
Studies have shown that it can reduce the need for steroids and may increase general well being. It has also been reported to help reduce flares and nasal and mouth ulcers muscle pain and hair loss Levels are often low in lupus patients so sometimes it is used only to bring levels up to the norm.

It's important to obtain it from a thoroughly reliable source, often a compounding pharmacy where you are guaranteed quality and consistency. As a supplement the FDA has no regulating control over it.
As far as I know, long term side effects are not yet well established. Some possible side effects - facial hair growth, acne, mood swings, voice deepening - are unacceptable. There are also reports of even lower doses like 25 mgs lowering good cholesterol (HDL) levels.

A synthetic version was developed called Aslera or prasterone ('GL171' in the studies) but the FDA demanded further studies before approving it.
I don't know where the approval process has got to at present.

It should be taken under medical supervision in my opinion with the doctor recommending the dosage.
If you use the advanced search function you might find the previous posts about it.

Clare

(Main source: " New Hope for People with Lupus" by Theresa Foy DiGeronimo)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi ampky,

The other fact I remember reading is that it is only helpful in patients who dhea levels are low, your doctor can order a blood test to measure your dhea levels. When I asked my rheumy about it he said that it wouldn't help me. Since he participated in the DHEA study I took his word for it. I don't remember why it wouldn't help me.

What medications are you currently taking?

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clare.T;502538 said:
Wecome to the forum ampky ! :)

DHEA is not available in the UK
It is not a disease modifying medicine for treating lupus but an OTC supplement that might be used as an addition to other medications.

It's important to obtain it from a thoroughly reliable source, often a compounding pharmacy where you are guaranteed quality and consistency. As a supplement the FDA has no regulating control over it.

A synthetic version was developed called Aslera or prasterone ('GL171' in the studies) but the FDA demanded further studies before approving it.
I don't know where the approval process has got to at present.
My other half has been reading up on DHEA and would like to try it as a supplement to his other meds. Since we are in the UK, and it is not licenced we cannot obtain any medical advice on taking this. We are looking for a good relaible source. Can anyone advise what they are taking and where they buy this from. How can we make sure that we buy this from a compounding pharmacy?

He's not bothered about the hairgrowing side effects ... in fact he would see this as a positive benefit ;-)

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
There has been much talk on here about DHEA and do a search on this site.

I did try DHEA with no benefits at all. My levels were not off either, I tried as a trial for Lupus. Yes, manly features can result and if you are a man, than it does not matter, more hair, more attitude.

Before adding anything, it should be consulted with the doctor who is prescribing any other medications he is on.

I live in the USA and there is a pharmacy here that filled it for me. It has to be "compounded" and not the over the counter that you may see or find on line or in health stores.

I would read up on this site as a lot was posted by myself and other members.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts