The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just heard that in America they have found a link between artificial sweetners in Diet Coke to Lupus patients and they are doing more research because they think that it has caused lupus !!
Is it just me or does that sound too simple and a bit odd .
Has anyone else heard about this yet ??
I drink a lot of diet coke but can't imagine it doing all this damage ?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Definitely an urban legend. When well meaning people have mentioned this to me I've told them that lupus has been around for centuries before aspartame was even invented so it certainly didn't cause it for all of them!

However, when I was desperate, I avoided all artificial stuff like the plague and was off all aspartame products for a full 2 years and noticed no difference. I'm currently off it again mostly because I don't want to spend the money on it and after my recent bout with stomach flu (again) it just truly does not appeal to me. That's one good thing that came out of that! *lol*

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
If only things were so simple, the world would be a much better place. I know there have been rumors, stories, urban legends......whatever you want to call them. There are many different ingredients that can interfere with some of the medications that are out there. You just have to be very careful with what medications you take and what you injest. Be sure to read the instruction sheets that cme with your meds or do some research here on the web.

Nancy

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
If it was true, I wouldn't have lupus - I can't stand the stuff - urgh, totally undrinkable!!

Katharine

·
Registered
869 Posts
I heard that it caused lupus and fibro, so, being a user of diet soft drinks (about 1 a day), I decided to go cold turkey for a period of about 6 mos. . There was no change. Snopes is pretty straight forward about things, and they say it isn't true as well. There are some people in society that seem to get a thrill out of scaring people needlessly:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts