The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you heard of a definitive link between drinking diet sodas and worsening of lupus symptoms? I currently drink about 5-7 cans of soda a day and I know it isn't the cause of my lupus but wondering if it may make things a little worse. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I just want to reassure you that this is false. We have had discussion on this before, I can understand your con cer, however it is truly unfounded. Thed only risk for diet soda is for those who are alergic to aspartime, if you were you would have been affected by that differently than lupus.

Here's a link to and earlier discussion

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73342&highlight=diet+soda

Here is a link to a site called SNOPES, this site tells you if urban legends are true or false...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

I hope this helps alleviate your fears.

Stephanie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I know you aren't asking if Nutrasweet causes lupus... only if drinking it could make your symptoms worse. The only way to answer that question for you --- is to go off it a period of time (several months) and see if there is an improvement.

I have drunk diet sodas on/off for most of my adult life. I have gone on several lengthy avoidances of artificial sweeteners lasting several months to a few years as well. One time going off it made zero difference, and other times I do seem to feel a little bit better and flare a little less, but most of the time I don't notice much of a difference whether consuming it or not.

There have not been any studies done on this definitively proving or disproving whether Nutrasweet makes lupus symptoms worse as far as I know at least. There are side effects to consuming this for some people, most notably headache. This is almost like a drug after all, so you have to expect some side effects. There are others too but I can't remember what they are; you could look them up on a reputable web site (FDA perhaps). I know I saw that at one point in time.

5-7 cans a day is a LOT. Although when I was younger I would drink nearly that much myself too! It may be a good idea to cut that down some and drink water instead 3-4 times each day as water is better for you ;)

·
The one and only
1,978 Posts
I didn't want to come in preaching ... but I do agree with Maia... that is a lot of soda.... I don't think the caffeine is good for us right??? That may be making you feel bad... I avoid all caffeinated drinks and stick to water and sometimes juice... but not many of those either...

But I would do what was said... avoid it for a while and see if you feel better...

Keep us posted. Hope you are having a pain free day!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
You are not alone in the soda/pop/soft drink use. Because I am desperately allergic to coffee (one cup in my entire life; I hallucinated for four hours and was unconscious for eight) and go into anaphylaxis if I drink or get anywhere near fruit juice, cannot drink alcohol and most teas can contain oddball additives, I drink a lot of cola. I prefer the taste of diet, normally consume caffeine-free and seem quite fine. I do drink a lot of RO water as well. The vampires love me at the laboratory when I have blood tests as I have large, easy to reach, veins.
The urban myth of Lupus and soft drinks seems to be just that: a myth.
Douglas+:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all of the input. I guess I will try to give it a shot to see if it helps out a bit. I'm at the stage right now where I will try anything. Maybe if I can get down to 2 cans a day that would be good and drink water in between.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts