The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will learn all about the foods i cannot eat ..which seems lots !

First appt since being dx with celiacs...will let you know how i get on x x x

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ladies...

i think it will be fine...i know i will have a healthier diet so that can only be a good thing !

·
Administrator
10,199 Posts
Good luck Christine.

My neighbors daughter has found ways to cook most of her favorite meals by using substitutions. She sticks to the diet faithfully and does pretty well. The family wasn't too keen on the changes at first but are now loving it since they are all shedding pounds.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
14,661 Posts

It will be interesting to see how much better you'll be feeling. There are lots of gluten free recipes online and support forums no doubt. Maybe your kids suffer from it too as it tends to run in families. There is also one genetic marker (or something like that) shared with lupus so the two diseases are a bit related.

Good Luck

Clare

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi christine

good luck with your appointment tuesday :luck:

my mum has coeliac disease,she was diagnosed about 20 years ago.she was really ill before diagnosis but has been fine ever since.
she sticks to the diet religiously except for when I cook for her & I tend to forget & add something to our meal that she can't have like an oxo :eek:

although I find her diet restricted christine there are so many options available, as clare said support groups & special recipe books etc..I find most supermarkets stock a good choice of gluten free food & a lot of food does state on it now whether it contains gluten/wheat.

regarding bread if you find you don't like any of the ready made variety I would suggest making your own.my mum has always made her own,it's quite easy to make & much nicer!she bakes it in batches & freezes it.

I hope it's not too overwhelming for you & you manage to easily adjust.It will be worth it to feel better :) I try to limit my wheat intake because I feel better without it & slimmer too!only drawback is I haven't got much willpower :hehe:

best of luck christine
take care..karen x

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Good luck with your dietitian appointment Chris xxx hazel

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ladies...will let you know how i get on x x

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Chris how did the appointment with the dietitian go?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there..

well to be honest she didnt really tell me anything i had not already found out,

I had joined coeliac uk when i first was dx in November,she told me thast where they get most of there info from anyway.

One thing that did shock me is how strict you have to be once your on it,theres no going back without being ill..

Also i cant even put my bread in the family toaster as my bread would be contaminated from the previous bread they had used !

And things like if they stir there gravy i cant use teh spoon to stir mine as i will ahve differant gravy..again contamintation...

and things you would not beleive i am not allowed evening down to chewing gum...this is going to be fun fun fun !!!!

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
I know it will be really hard Chris....but maybe the whole family might not mind changing there diet.......it does sometimes tend to be passed onto children so Laura might find some benefit as well........

I think teh toast thing will mean a bit of foil in the grill pan to grill your toast.....lol! mo more easy toasting for you honey.

Ally has had celiac for a while and has young children and hubby to feed....you might find a chat with her very helpful.

xxx hazel

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
That is amazing Chris, a whole new world. I wonder which of your health symptoms could be put down to the celiac not the lupus. Also what about your medicines ? I hope they are wheat free if the teeniest bit makes such a difference. Maybe she was laying it on really thick to impress you and in fact you might find you can get away with a teeny tiny bit now and then.

Very good Luck with it.

Clare

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi again christine

I'm sorry you're feeling a bit overwhelmed :sad:
I remember my mum feeling exactly the same way when she was first diagnosed.food is such a big part of our life so it will take time to adjust.It will get better & eventually become just 'normal' to you.
If you enjoy cooking that will certainly widen your options :)

I hope it gets easier for you christine.Take care
:hug:
karen x

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
good luck with the dietician. I am not a celiac, but I have noticed that there are a lot more gluten free products in the supermakets (breakfast cereals, breads and crackers etc) which should be helpful. I imagine the diet would be a real nuisance, but good to get it all under control.

cheers

raglet

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Christine,
I just wanted to send you a cheer:cheer2: I know you are going to feel so much better and it will be so worth all the hard work.

Hugs,
Becca

1 - 16 of 16 Posts