The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jen
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to vent a little...

I'm waiting to hear about my long term disability (private coverage through my employer) but they are so frustrating to deal with. I'm also applying for SDD but I know to expect a hassle there.

Called 3 times in the past 6 weeks to see if they had everything they needed, no returned calls. So finally called someone else and found out the girl handling my case wasn't there anymore (I guess no one was checking her voicemail!). So this other guy tells me they have everything they need and my file is being reviewed, he did give me the name of the new rep for me to work with. Today I get a letter stating if they don't get the info. they need by the 29th they'll make a decision with out it.

WHAT INFO?, the letter didn't say and the guy on the phone said they had what they needed! I'm just so frustrated and not only that I feel it is going to get denied and I need to get ready for an appeal but it is just frustrating that no one understands what it is like to live as some of us do.

I'll call them on Monday and figure on what is going on. So sorry to rant but it does feel better to get it out there and off my chest.

One note of good news I am getting some short term. disability from the state in the meantime :) .

Good day to all.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ironicially, the same thing happened to me except for the letter part.

I was calling and leaving voicemail messages for my person I was told was processing the claim, getting no response, and finally called the company itself to ask (instead of leaving more voicemail) and found out that the person was gone and a new person had been assigned.

In my case, I got approved. I'm sure you will too... They backdated when I officially became "disabled" though. I worked through June 1, working half of March, all of April, half of May, but they claim I became officially disabled on March 18th. I found that strange... didn't think they could do that but it must benefit them in some way or else they wouldnt' have done it.

Try not to worry about it yet, just call again and ask about the letter. It was probably just a mistake...

Good luck!

·
Jen
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Maia,

I just left a message for them to call me in the morning and if I don't hear from them I'll call again.

My son (14) has never in his life been stressed about anything, it is just not in his nature. I told him I was stressed and asked what I could do to be more like him and not stress about this and he said...

"have an Oreo"! :rotfl:

This is his solution to everything.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm on long term disability from my employer. Every month, they send me a form that MD has to fill out to confirm that I still need the disability. It's a pain and doc is sick of doing it (been almost 1 yr) Have applied for SS Disability 5 mos ago. Called my case manager last wk, he said that they sent my local office their decision and I should find out this wk. Scared that I'll be denied. But I certainly understand your frustration! Cathy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I really appreciate you guys talking about this. I'm concerned that I'm going to end up on long-term soon and I'm worried about how it will go. Hearing about other people (even the problems) helps because it lets me know what to prepare for. I just can't get over how much worse I feel now than I did a year ago. It seems like the 10 weeks I had off for short-term disability only helped about 50%.

Anyway - thanks again for talking about your experiences.

·
Jen
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I talked to them today and they were looking for additional information from my neruo/psyc doc and the cognitive testing she did. The doc called me and was concerend about the way they were asking questions.

She was supportive about telling them "you have to look at the entire picture and all the interacting connections with the lupus, not just one thing".

We'll see where it goes and if it is denied we will appeal. I have to.

Have a good day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts