The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning....just a quick one...:rolleyes:....i have a roundish slight raised circle on my side neck by ear...size of a twenty pence....i have looked on the rash sights....but cant see the difference between sle..dle and ring worm?!!....as some of the lupus rashes are circular....i only have that one...doesnt itch....and has been there a few weeks now.....hubby noticed it?!!....ididnt notice it as cos were it is.......so can anyone explain a little more?......i am waiting for my appointment with a dermy to arrive....jane...;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Jane,

The dermy should be able to identify it...go all the best with the appointment.

In the mean time, from what you wrote, I doubt it is ringworm. As a kid I had ringworm once. I was completely covered in the lesions (many more than 50 sores, not just one). Also, my kitten had ringworm too, so there was a clear source of the infection. So, with just one lesion, and unless you've had close contact with someone with the infection, Ï'd doubt it was ringworm.

Take a photo of it in case it is gone by the time you get to see the dermy.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
869 Posts
The rash you are describing is what got me , in addition to blood work, and symptoms dxd with sle:p . Mine started as a single spot on my inner upper left arm, a few weeks later got one on my right arm in the same place, within a week of that, they were popping out on my chest and back. I went to the GP who said "Ringworm" and gave me the medicine Griffulvin (generic for Griseofulvin). I took it and nearly died.....apparently people with Lupus (which I didn't know I had yet) are never to take this drug. Because of my bad reaction I was sent to a Rheumy and a Dermy. I got in to see the Rheumy several weeks before my appt. with the Dermy, and she knew what the rash, combined with my other symptoms and tests & blood work meant........SLE. She called the rash "sub-acute LE", I am under the impression that most of the Lupies who get this particular rash have SCLE, not SLE; Only a small percentage of people with SLE develop this particular rash. Anyway, I was given prednisone, plaquenil and elocon (sp?) lotion, and the rash left in a period of about 1 1/2 weeks. The Dr. said this particular rash other than being annoying, isn't that bad, unless it gets into your hair, sometimes it can make your hair fall out:eek: . I hope you get treatment for your rash soon, Take Care:)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Clare:

Your story is a copy of mine! I started with a round rash on my upper arm, persistent and would not go away. Went to Dermy got biopsy and dx of SCLE. All the rest came on after that.

Plaquenil hast helped keep the skin under control, I still get an occasional rash on back or neck...got my first facial one right now. I do get head, nose and mouth lesions, but not since starting cellcept.

Stephanie

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've got one just under my left arm on my ribcage.It's about the size of a twenty pence piece now.The middle is slightly rough and the edges become redder then they seem to go after about a week.These marks don't itch.I just don't have the motivation to go to any more consultants to find out what it is for sure,
Julsie

·
Registered
62 Posts
My rash was circluar and attended 4 GP's who gave varying diagnosis before i went to dermatologist and they look a biopsy and bloods which told me it was lupus. Predisolone shifted it in a few weeks (fairly high dose tho - 20 mg) and it hasn't came back in nearly a year.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
personally I think if you suspect ringworm, I'd take a trip to the pharmacy and guy some antifungal cream and pop it on the lesions. It is quite possible for it to be ringworm and only have a couple of 'rings' - my daughter did when we had a kitten with ringworm. She got two on her arm, and that was it.

If it doesn't help, then I'd try a trip to the doctor. Of course you can always go to the doctor even if it is ringworm - simple skin scrapings will confirm whether or not it is ringworm.

hope this helps

raglet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, In 96 I was diagnosed with discoid Lupus. How mine started on my back, I had about 4 huge ringworm looking shapes, they biopsied on my back and it was discoid. It lasted for about 1-2 years believe it or not and then suddenly went away. I, at least at the time could not take plaquenil because it made me itch all over which was at the bottom of the side effects list. I don't know whether I could take it now or not, it might have been batch related with more of something in it that caused that reaction on me, but I don't know. Anyway wish you luck

Denise

1 - 9 of 9 Posts