TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am very busy trying to do up house in between all other stuff we all have to do whether we feel like it or not. Just not enough hours / energy in the day.

I learned how to fit the edging tape that goes over the raw edge of kitchen 'kickboards' with an iron. Easy, turn iron on and iron strip onto raw edge. Done.

Today's worktop edge in my utility space had to be glued on with impact adhesive. First worked out what 'impact adhesive' actually was, then drove out to buy some. Glued it on. Strip wider than worktop edge. Instructions said rasp off. I thought I'd speed things up before rasping by 'paring' excess with stanley knife. Fantastic - stanley knife straight into thumb. No plasters. Used tissue and cellotape. Cleaned up blood all over strip, worktop, floor, self.

Managed to take part of worktop off as well as edging strip, so think will probably swell with water. Rubbed PVA into gap in hope of waterproofing it a bit until can work out better solution.

Rasped remaining very crooked and sharp edge flush with worktop ... and took a bit more worktop off in process. More PVA. Only small bits damaged. Nobody will notice ... Suck knuckles where have rasped bits of skin off.

Move on to working out why new hose pipe won't work. Have brew, stare at it a bit,then connect pipe to outside tap. Turn tap on - water comes out of hose. Great. Connect hose to brand new hose pipe reel with brand new long hose pipe attached. Turn on tap ... no water.

Return to shop from where connectors purchased. All agree one of connectors must be faulty. Go home and get connector. Return to shop and get replacement. Fit replacement, turn on tap ... no water. Think - perhaps the 'none return valved connector' is in wrong place. Swap connector with other connector at rose end of hose. Turn on water ... We have water!

Fill water butt used for comfrey tea. Add comfrey. Turn on automatic irrigation system to greenhouse. No water. Fill water that butt with water. Turn on again. Have water.

Set one year old irrigation timer for hanging baskets to see if still working. Dead. Go to shop. Buy new battery. Fit new battery. Dead.

Return to shop where said item purchased last year. Same shop as hose connectors, etc. They pretend to try to hide from me.

They agree it should still work, but recommend a better brand since this happened last year when they replaced my old one for free. I buy new brand and remember to ask for appropriate battery before leaving shop AND I ask if it will fit using same connectors as last and am assured it will. Return home. Nearly bust outside tap removing old timer which has welded itself to tap. This takes 2 hours.

Go to fit new timer after reading instructions. Am very happy - far better product than last. Go to fit it.

It needs some different connectors.

Return to shop - staff smiling ruefully. Explain, does not fit, please advise on correct connectors. Buy them and go home. Fit new connectors. Attach timer (getting really excited now as I have only been at it for about 7 hours).

Turn on tap ... water coming out of everywhere - every joint and connector you can imagine.

I am cold and wet. And it is very, very windy.

Turn off tap. Go inside. Put on kettle. Have brew. Smoke more cigarettes than a normal human should be able to tolerate. Feel rubbish cos still have not stopped smoking. Moan on site. Go to bed. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Why can life be so flipping difficult some days! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Oh Alwin!! What an awful day. I have to say, beautifully and funnily told even if it wasn't funny at the time :lol:

You're braver than me. My DIY steps are very wobbly and few and far between. I did learn a little after my divorce but have decided that having a husband who is "handy" is more than handy and makes my life a lot simpler :)

Hope tomorrow is a much much better day and here's a hug so that you'll forgive me for laughing at your tale.

:grouphug2:

Katharine

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
There was an author who wrote an article that read just like you day...it was called sequences...and went through something just like this. I believe that the name was Dear Maggie and was in outdoor life.

I am sorry your day was so bad,,,but you write it so well.

Love Stephanie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Alwin:eek:

get the 60miniute makeover teem in lol

sorted take it easy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know what guys?
It would not really matter if there had been any point to any of it.

It has been cold, windy and RAINING cats and dogs for days now.

It only seemed important to do those things cos I was avoiding tiling my kitchen.

I have now become addicted to the first computer game I have ever been on (instead of tiling and stuff). I cannot stop doing it. It is called Bloodlines. Anybody else had an addiction of this type?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Alwin

r u on face book there r loads of games on there lol:lol::lol::lol:

Time flys when on PC. Tiling the kitchen can wait till you r in the mood ;)then it will be done quicker :p

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My addiction is trying to learn how to use photoshop (I've got CS2) properly - I think it'll keep me and my foggy brain quite happy for another few years :lol:

·
11,405 Posts
My addition is doing jig-saw puzzles on line. It is timed to see how fast you can do them.:blink::eek:hno:

I am not doing as much as I use too. I have been busy lately.:hehe::p

Alwin, I hope you have a much better week.

Love,
Lyn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts