TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone looking for some advice

i have recently been experiencing tightness in my chest - my gp reckons i have asthma and gave me an inhaler however it doesnt seem to help. if i sit for long periods my knees tend to "lock" and get very sore as soon as i try to straighten them. i get a rash over my face and arms if i drink even one alcoholic drink. also my auntie has lupus.

u guys are the experts can u give me any advice? i did mention the fact my aunt has lupus but he didnt listen to me. dont wanna go back and feel like a nuisance if i'm worrying about nothing!

thanks x hope u are all well!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Milkybuttons and welcome to the board.

It is hard to say what may be going on with you but certainly if your not feeling well then a trip to your GP to start out would be good. He may refer you on to a Rheumatologist for further testing.

Follow your instincts and if you dont feel well then press forward and hopefully you will find answers may lie ahead.

Nice to meet you and join us in the chat room sometime.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy and welcome,
We certainly cannot determine whether or not you have Lupus but we can be here to give you support and advice. Certainly I would hope you would do two things: 1) keep a journal of your symptoms; the more information you can give your medico the better your chances of getting help; and 2) suggest that you be tested for Lupus, in particular mention a blood test for ANA. (When I was told that I had a "very high" ANA result I immediately asked what ANA stood for. "Anti-nuclear antibodies". This made me mention that by the name I figured that in case of an atomic bomb attack I would survive while normal folk would croak. :lol: Not so, I was informed.)
All the best and prayers that your health improves.
Douglas+

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello and welcome :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing breathing difficulty. It can be very scary :(

I'm afraid lupus is an extremely complex disease so we won't be able to answer your question specifically.

However, you know your body, you know whether what you are going through is or isn't normal...

With the family history element it is worth checking if an auto-immune disease (of which lupus is one) might not be a possibility.

Douglas's suggestions about keeping a diary etc. are very good and requesting an ANA test is a good first step. Even if that test comes back negative but symptoms continue to get worse, it may then be worth asking for a referral to a rheumatologist.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess, I would second the above advice, but I would add that if you are not feeling listened to by your doc, that it is time to see a new doc. I see a doc who may not always have all of the answers I want, but I always feel like she listens to me and tries to find someone who has the answers if she doesn't!

It is very important that you have a trusting relationship with your doc especially if you are having hard to diagnose health problems.

Amy

·
11,405 Posts
The only thing I can add is. When you have your rash take pictures of it. Then you will be able to show the doctor what you are talking about.

Hope you find answers.
Lyn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts