TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Teri and I am currently in the process of being evaluated for an auto immune disease such as Lupus or Sjorgens.
My symptoms are redness across cheeks, a large red spot on top of my back it looks like a sunburn, but never goes away. Dry mouth, mouth ulcers,fatigue,sore all over. Also have had a pain that moves from place to place for several years. I have brain fog, but thought it might be menopause. My hair is getting thin and I saw a clump of it in the shower one day. Was sent to a rhuemy after I fell on the ice and hurt my back. Xrays showed inflammation in the spine that suggested auto immune. After my fall is when I started having the problems with my mouth. The rhuemy says I have Degenerative Arthritis in my spine and knees but everything else looks ok. I just got my lab work but have to wait until April 16th to return to rheumy. Could someone please look at the following lab results and let me know what you think, I am not sure if the ssa and ssb is positive or neg. It looks like lupus to me but I'm not sure about Sjorgens.
Ana- 1:80 titer
ana pattern- speckled
ana titer -1:640
esr -38
ra factor -22
ssa -

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Teri and welcome :)

Your symptoms certainly warrant the further investigation for a possible auto-immune disease that they are getting with the rheumatologist. Unfortunately lupus is extremely complex and very difficult to diagnose even for the most experienced doctors. It can mimic many other diseases and can also present quite differently in different people.

I'm a little confused by your blood results as you put in the ANA twice. Once with a 1:80 titer and once with 1:640. There is a big difference between the two. The first is not particularly significant and some perfectly "healthy" people may have an ANA at that level or have it for a variety of other resons such as a virus, innfection... The ANA of 1:640 is a lot higher and is much more significant if lupus or another similar auto-immune disease is suspected. Your vitamin D is also low and it's good that that has been noted and the doc is trying to get it back up. I'm not very good on the other blood tests. In general bloods are so complex that they're best left to doctors to interpret and most GPs don't understand half the tests that rheumies do fully.

Someone else with more "bloods" knowledge may be along soon and be able to help out more.

For me the essential here is that you are being taken seriously and are under investigation by a rheumatologist. You need to bear in mind that it can be very complex and that you will need some patience.

bye for now,
Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Teri,

Welcome to a great place where people provide knowledge, support and are very informative too. I think Katharine hit the nail on the head. You blood work does warrant further investigation and a good Rheumatologist who really listens is half the battle won.

I am not very familiar with your blood work numbers either and yes, someone with more knowledge will be along. I wanted to jump on and welcome you here and let you know I am glad you found us.

Good luck moving forward towards a diagnosis and treatment and please keep us posted as to how you progress. Again, welcome.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts