TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:I made a doctor appt. Thursday afternoon to discuss alternative treatments for my lupus besides the cytoxan. I dont want to wait three years before i can start trying to have children and i'm afraid the longer i wait the more harm it's going to do to my body. If anyone has any suggestions about alternative routes and how medicines are working keeping your flares down i would love to hear them. I want to go prepared so i have a better fighting chance. I have really bad lupus so that is why they do the cytoxan and do it soo often. Anything out there that works just as well but doesnt do as much harm? AND i can be pregnant on while taking? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Alisia,

I can't answer about working as well or being suitable replacements - that is up to your doctor, and of course your own body and the lupus, but there are two drugs asside from plaquenil you can safely use in pregnancy.

Azathioprine (imuran), and steroids (prednisolone etc).

Azathioprine might be an option for you, plus pred as needed, but really your doctor is the only one who can decide this with you.

Cellcept is also on the not reccomended list, so even when you are not flaring you'll need a change of drugs if you want to concieve.

All the very best with the appointment.

X C X

1 - 2 of 2 Posts