TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
earthling
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone uses this product regularly? I'm looking for a good site - trustworthy & economical. (I'm from the U.S.)
I don't feel comfortable one source I looked at since they can't guarantee that you get the product unless you order express shipping - which costs $25 and still takes up to 10 business days! I'm also weary about buying over ebay or amazon.

I read that the anthelios sunscreens from Canada and U.S. aren't as good. I've checked out a few sites so far that import from europe and can't believe the price!!!

Also does anyone know what the XL stands for?

p.s.
I'm beginning to think that the sunscreens here in the U.S. are a crock. I'm using Neutrogena SPF facial moisterizer 45, also their suncreen 75...apply a good amount half an hour before I go out. Everytime I go out into the sun, I come back with those cute little freckles, otherwise known as "age spots" on my face...

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello there,

There have been several sunscreen threads recently. If you do a search you should find some. Here is one among others:

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74003&highlight=sunscreen

Finding sunscreen that suits is very individual and takes a lot of trial and error. Some people even react to the sunscreen itself and have a worse reaction with than without (though I am certainly not advocating going without!!).

This site has some useful info for sun sensitive people

http://eclipse.lupusuk.org.uk/

Katharine

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
P.S. The reason why anything imported from Europe will cost a fortune is duty. We too suffer from that if we have to order anything in the US. Unfortunately it makes most sun protective clothing completely prohibitive cost wise.

·
earthling
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks katherine, i will read the whole thread and search around some more...try out different kinds too...neutrogena def. does not do it...coming back in w/brown spots and feeling nauseous and sick from the sun is the proof...

i did hear the anthelios or stuff made with mexyrol are the only ones that work, though...?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello earthling :)

The Anthelios XL is still the top recommendation as far as I know by American dermatologists. I very much doubt if the manufacturers. La Roche Posay, would produce a different substance in North America if indeed it is manufactured there at all. I might remember wrongly but I think the difference between the SL and the XL is the base, the SL is water and the XL is oil so it is more heavy duty or for active wear. About 5 years ago it was costing about $40 in a private pharmacy in NYC. At that time the FDA hadn't agreed that it could be marketed in the USA although it has been used in Europe since the early 90's.

I used to use it before I started getting sunscreen free in the UK and was happy wearing it but I never actually tested it in anyway. Sun screen has to go along with sun avoidance and protection. If you rely on it completely you will almost certainly run into trouble.
It is possible that the Neutrogena doesn't protect against UVA as well as the Anthelios. One article I read compared the effectiveness of the principal ingredients in each against UVA and UVB and Anthelios came out better on the UVA score.

I agree that there is a large measure of individual suitability, how easy it is to wear and sometimes people are sensitive to certain ingredients. By the way I heard that this year the USA is adopting the star rating for UVA protection.

:)

Cheers
Clare

·
earthling
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Clare, for the info! I went onto the LRP site and they didn't have the "XL" and that's all I kept hearing the buzz about. Now that I know it's the water-oil thing I will be ordering from their site...and the price isn't too bad there too. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
earthling;545170 said:
Thanks, Clare, for the info! I went onto the LRP site and they didn't have the "XL" and that's all I kept hearing the buzz about. Now that I know it's the water-oil thing I will be ordering from their site...and the price isn't too bad there too. :)

That's the one I've been using since last year (well, actually it's the spray pump bottle not tube). Seems to work fine but I wasn't in the sun that much last year (spent most of the July/August in the southern hemisphere where it was winter).

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
If you look at the top of a page you will often see the google ad for the product being dicussed. :) Everytime you click on an ad the site earns a little to help support it since it is privately owned by Joanne.
By the way ali, commercial links are usually not permitted.
:)
Clare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts