The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I haven't been on the site in 6 months or more, I am having a hard time dealing with my health. I was wondering if anyone uses Dilaudid for pain. I am on 105 mg of ms contin now and its not wortking. I was just wondering what to expect in terms of side effects and pain relief. Any info anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Jenn:)

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Eeyore,

I have not personally taken it for pain but I know at least one member here has taken it with success. That was a few years ago but hopefully some of the active members will have experience to share with you.
My current pain medication regimen is as follows: For disease caused pain I take Methadone 40 -60mg per day, Fentanyl 75mcg per hour pain patch and Soma 350mg 3 times a day. I also have Fibromyalgia and for that pain I take 600mg per day of Neurontin aka Gabapentin, 60mg per day of Pamelor aka Nortryptaline. In addition I have Lidoderm patches and Lidocaine Ointment and am in the midst of ordering a different prescription mix ointment for pain in some areas. I also use Bio-freeze and Zostrix non-prescription ointments/gels for pain.

I can tell you that in my experience Fibromyalgia or Nerve related pain doesn't respond well to Narcotic Pain medications which is why I take other medications that have been successful in patients across the board who have Fibromyalgia and nerve related pain.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi

I was given Dilaudid through IV in the emergency room. I was there due to having an infection in my IV port and had a severe headache. They removed my port and gave me my treatment along with Dilaudid and sent me home. I stared at the wall for like 5 hours and still had a headache. LOL

Honestly, I was not happy with the drug. It made me paranoid.

Sorrry, not much help. Best Wishes.

Michelle

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi,
I've had dilaudid once in the ER too. I loved it. They gave me fetanyl first, that lasted 5 minutes, then I felt pain and discomfort again. Then they gave me dilaudid and I was very happy and very comfortable. I was able to walk out of the ER 30 minutes later (after the dilaudid, I was there for quit a while being monitored and 'worked up' before i got the meds). I was in for a bad reaction to an anti-biotic. My lupus pain (legs, neck and back pain) flared up because I had not slept for 24 hours due to itching all over my body from the reaction.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dilaudid must be a darling of the ER. I had it last week (pleurisy & pulmonary embolism) as part of a hefty mixture of pain killers. I was so gone for three days that I only know this by reading the hospital record yesterday. Guess it worked for me.

Fran :p

·
Registered
467 Posts
thank god for drugs

hi jenn

i know you asked this question awhile ago but i've been away.
i use dilaudid regularly a total of 24mg a day and i also use a fentanyl patch every other day.

i have had no side effects on either, i don't even feel funny. i still get break thru pain but not bad, more annoying than bad.

hope it works well for you, it sure saved me.

take care and feel better
oxxo

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Hi, I had dilaudid to take for breakthrough pain for a long time. I was taking (and still am) 30 mg of mscontin three times a day. I found that the dilaudid wasn't terribly effective for me. It had a mild sedative effect, but didn't really eliminate the pain. BUT.... I only had a small dose available to me, up to 6 mg in 2 mg increments to take at a time.

Sunny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts