TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder if anyone can throw any light on my new symptoms
At the moment I have a worrying problem which I have ignored for a week hoping it would go and it hasn't. :(I have a lot of mucous in my stools and am 'going' every time I visit the loo and passing a tiny mucousy thing-(sorry gross i know). Back to doc I think just wonder if anyone has any thoughts

Rachel

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Rachel

Sorry you are dealing with yet another thing :hugbetter: Most people have small amounts of mucous in their stools but its usually not visible. If its visible and consistent then it does need investigation.

Mucous can be caused by inflammation of the intestines but there are other conditions that can cause it as well such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis and sometimes even Crohns Disease. An infection can also cause mucous though and it might be worth while trying an anti biotic to see if it clears up. Of course your doctor would be the best one to suggest a course of action.

Most of the advice says if it doesnt resolve within a few weeks to seek medical attention. However my rule of thumb has always been to go with my 'gut' feeling (pardon the pun!). If you have had it for a week and its getting no better (or indeed getting worse) then an appointment with your doctor might be in order.

Also take note if your bowel habits have changed at all, i.e. more frequent, less frequent, abnormal stool consistency, etc. This kind of info can help with possible diagnosis of the cause.

Best of luck and I hope it just resolves itself for you.
Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I did have this problem once. Partially formed stools about 10 times a day. Dr. D'Cruz suggested stool test. Nothing sinister and it did resolve. I do think a change in bowel habit needs reporting to the Doc.
x Lola

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
hi Rachel. Sorry for what you are yoing thru, I go thru it with almost every B. M.
I have been in the hospital, and just got out yesterday, and they checked everything. Their answer was " there is nothing wrong with you, except that you
are malnourished (sp). So, I am not going to worry, I sence that it is not life-
threatening. Please be well. smile.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi, this has happened to me. in my case a GI recommended i start eating all natural yogurt and taking acidophilus for a while because he felt i had too much candida in my body. it worked (it took about 3 weeks though!). i'd definitely recommend discussing with your doctor if it's not cleared up soon.

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
rachel,
I think the appointment with the doctor is a good call. Please let us know how it is going and how you are doing. Hope you feel better soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts