The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a previous post regarding drinking. I seem to have a different problem.

I rarely drink since I was diagnosed. I used to drink socially on a Saturday night or something. Now, if I have a few drinks, within a few days I seem to get a flare. I'll experience extreme fatigue, headache, and low grade fever. This will last up to a week at times.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

I currently take Plaquenil, Mobic, Norvasc, Bactrim, and Premarin.

I try to eat while I'm drinking so as not to get an upset stomach. Have no problem with that.

Thanks.
Michelle

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am on way too many other medications, besides lupus ones, so drinking is really out for me. But I might suggest you check with a doctor, or medicine's conraindicators to see if the meds are reacting with the alcohol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I don't find that alcohol puts me into a flare, if that is what you're asking. As I have epilepsy drinking is fairly limited for me (I value my drivers licence !) but I do find that I can have a glass of wine without any problem.
Sounds like it is affecting you though ....

hth

raglet

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
i dont find drink causes me a flare, but i know i should only have no more than 2 glasses of wine, or it makes me bad,
but i shouldnt have anymore than 2 either with all the drugs im on, and some say no more than two units :sad: not as i would in one week ;)

Lin xx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Miss Gladys,

I have never been able to drink more than one small glass of anything. Anything more sends me to sleep. When I'm flaring, I get lots of headaches and any kind of wine makes that much worse so I have given up trying and have to admit I don't miss it.

Now, as well, with all those meds I go to sleep even faster if I drink anything, so I find I'm better company if I don't :rotfl:

Katharine

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Alt of medications list recommendations against taking medications and drinking alcohol as the alcohol makes the medication less effective. Now, if I paid more attention in Chemistry and Pharmacology, I might be able to tell you, but I didn't so unfortunately I cannot. It might pay to pick up a drug book at a bookstore so you can read up on your medications. It is a very beneficial book to have.

As for the drinking, I chose not to because of all the meds that I take and because I have a bad liver. Not sure if it was due to party days or lupus. Anyway, it is your choice if you want to imbibe, so don't think I am telling you not to drink, or judging you at all. What I will say is never give up. Life is too short, live it as your last and if that means raising a few then here's to you!!!

Nancy

P.S. It is always a good idea to check in with you Rheumy or prescribing doc to get his/her opinoin.

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Michelle i am the same as the others on the drink i dont but if you feel you can take a drink with the medication that you are on ask the doc or the pharmasit if you are not sure all the best Elisabeth:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Gladys,

That was my mom's name by the way. And as kids we were never allowed to call her Gladys.

So, Miss Gladys, :) i'm thinking that alcohol doesn't inhibit you from things such as behavior,, body movements and you could be over exerting yourself while under the influence.

What i'm trying to say is you may be having too much fun and over doing it the reason you get in a flare afterward.

Just a thought :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Gladys

I'm with Sadie on this. I don't drink often as it affects my IBS big time, but when I do I tend to stay up far too late and dance for hours, which obviously drains me completely for the next few days. If my lupus is active then even holding a conversation can be an effort, so doing that for the whole night, even that is a drain.

It sucks, but now I only drink when the occasion is far more important than my energy level for the following week. That's not very often.

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
This thread is a little old now, but I just wanted to say that I also feel disproportionally bad after drinking. It seems worse lately, and my symptoms have been getting worse otherwise, so I've decided to stop drinking.

I, too, take a whole slew of medications, so it's probably a good idea to stop mixing in drinks. But yeah - last month I had a few beers and was in bed all the next day. If I have more than a few, I'm out of it for a good two days. Even small amounts of alcohol seem to trigger large amounts of flare symptoms.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

You did not list the meds you are on. Look at the warning labels on the drugs. You could be doing more to your body than just going into a flare. Certain drugs...like methotrexate and alcohol can cause serious liver damage very quickly.

All of our bodies and meds are different. I like to have a drink. The current meds I am on strongly suggest I don't. Especially the pain meds. I am no angel...yes I do have a drink now and then but I don't take certain meds (pain meds) and never drive.
a friend of mine has another autimune disease. She can drink vodka but no wine.

A drink has never put me in a flare. Life is not fair to lupies. But at least I can still eat chocolate.

Elaine

·
Mildly stricken; blue
100 Posts
Meds, etc.

O, I'm on many meds that could, in theory, interact negatively with each other, and are also not best to mix with alcohol. Still, my doctors are okay with the current medication regimen, and have never told me not to drink which, to be honest, I do think is a little bit odd.

I've just found for myself, recently, that it's not worth it. I love what you guys said about how we will also do all kinds of things, physically, that we wouldn't do sober. It's true - I'll stay up all night, or bang around or run around and wind up with a few mysterious bruises. If I am not drinking, there's a good chance I will head home after one, possibly two activities, if I'm feeling extra energized and "normal," and if I haven't done anything earlier in the day. I do tend to be able to push it when I drink - I can be out during the day, be absolutely fatigued, and then get a second wind with drinks, or, like you said, maybe not notice the pain and fatigue.

I'm going to find support for my choice to not drink, since I'm surrounded by many drinkers, and so I can make healthier, non-drinking friends.

I'd hate to be putting anything into my system that might work against my meds, and that's exactly what I do when I drink. It's just, sometimes, it's this thing you can't see, and can't really describe to people - lupus - and people wonder why you're so tired or out of it or aren't around like you used to be...I guess I was trying to use alcohol to be more normal.

You're right, too, about the liver. I have no idea what's going on with that, but, considering I'm on, like, 11 meds right now...best to give it as much space as I can. Must tread lightly on the liver, no?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.