TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone hope you are all ok!

As some of you may know I am a member of St John Ambulance, and my husband has been trying to get me on a driving coursefor years and I keep putting it off. Well he has finally succeeded I attend the theory part at the end of may, then they let me on the road in an ambulance :eek:!!! Luckily you get to go out with a driving advisor OMG!

The one thing that is worrying me is that you have to give a running commentry of what you are doing. Now as you know lupus has this horrible habit of making you look like a total dumb *** when you have those word finding brain fog moments. I am hoping I get a driving advisor that know's me which will make it easier, but it's the test with a total stranger. Maybe I am worrying about nothing, but I am starting to worry a bit. I have discussed this with my husband and he doesn't think it will be a problem as I do not want to do get my class 1 driving (response driving with lights and sirens neenaw) but class three for moving vehicles around!

The reason I am doing the driving is firstly to improve my own driving and road awareness, and to help transport the "Control unit" around in carnival season and maybe other times too! Am I doing the right thing??

Claire

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Oh Yaaaaaaaaaaaas !
:)

Clare

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
OMG how cool that it. Yes you are doing the right thing. You could practise the commentary...do you have a tape recorder? If so, try doing it as you move around the house...be observant and talk alot.

Once you get used to it it will become easier.

Plus you can then play it back and see if you missed stuff that might be important.

The try it while driving...

I could never do that, I can't even talk on the phone or to a passenger when driving or I get confused and make mistakes.

Best of luck & Have FUN with it....Stephanie

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Go for it girl!!!

And try to relax. I'm sure you'll do fine and I suppose that even if you don't it's hardly the end of the world... I find things less stressful if I take them like that, it doesn't kill my motivation, just eases the nerves :)

Katharine

·
11,405 Posts
:woohoo:Claire

I am sure you will do just fine.:)

Love,
Lyn

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your support guys, Stephanie I might just try your suggestions.

I have been having more dizzy spells again so I need to go and have a chat with the quack so may have to put it on hold again!

Claire

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
oh go for it, do what makes you happy and you will do fine with it all promise. Let us know how it goes.

Be calm and well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went on the theory part of the course saturday and was pretty tired afterwards. It really makes you think hard about the way you are driving. I now have to have eight "lessons" with a driving adviser. They take you out in an ambulance for an hour and a half and advise you on your driving and how you can improve it.

When you are ready you have a test with the head of the driving school. He is a new guy but an ex police response driver. Wish me luck!!!!

Claire xx

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
My dad had the top metropolitan police driving exam and used to drive London buses (no link there :lol:) ... he was also a GOLD bike rider (whatever that means) and instructor and still taught in his late sixties.

I never minded going on a bike with him - he even picked me up once form the airport when I was five months pregnant :eek: but in a car....NO WAY!!!

So, what I mean is, if he can do it you can!!!

GO FOR IT GIRL!!!

Katharine

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I just saw this post and I say YOU GO GIRL!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Good luck and let us know how you make out.:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts