The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Methotrexate has failed me. Now what?

I finally got the eye swelling and lupus rash under control with some internal and external steroids. But the doctor still thinks that the rash was due to my body rejecting the metho after a year, not to mention that it isn't working as well anymore.

He and my primary GP has taken me off ALL medications except for Toprol and insulin ( newly dx diabetic July 23) and prednisone.

I am hurting so bad right now..... I don't go back until Sept. 5. I want to be armed with information but I really don't know what the next type of treatment is? Can somebody please shed some light for me?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am in the same position as you. I have to wait though until I get way down on the prednisone or preferably completly off this horrible (for me) drug. The methotrexate was wonderful in the beginning, but like you it's just not cutting it any more.

I don't know what other drugs you have tried, but my rheumatologist is planning on switching me to imuran.

My sister was on prednisone for 35 years and imruan was the only drug that worked for her to control her crohn's. I know it's a different disease, but still an autoimmune disorder.

I have read that methotrexate is better on joint pain while imuran is better for organ problems. That may make a difference in the choice of drug if you are having mostly joint pain. Mine is serositis, which is the lining of the heart, lung and abdomen. I'm not sure if that is considered organ issues or joints? Not joints for sure, I would think. That could be why the methtrexate is not working as well as hoped for? I'm rambling now...

Nutty

P.S. I also recently became diabetic from the prednisone. That was a HUGE adjustment for me.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Hi:

I am sorry for both of you.

I had a horrible reaction to methotrexate, my skin became an awful grey color, I was weak and nauseaus all the time.

They put me on Imuran, I was fine for a little while, then I started to have seizure like syndromes, and some CNS like episodes.

So I went to Arava, I lost almost all my hair and although I felt better, it just wasn't enough, I could not take a larger dose and they were trying to get me off Steroids...

We switched to CellCept, I have been on this for almost a year and other than some breakthrough issues (Where I had to add prendisone to be OK), this one has been a keeper! I now take 1500mg a day, and I cannot go any higher based on my weight, size and some other stuff the Dr tells me. I hope it continue to be so effacious for me as I hate the thought of stronger drugs.

So you do have options, and sometimes it takes a few try to get it right. Keep your chin's up and keep telling the Dr what works and what doesent.

Stephanie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts