TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me to understand how this test is helpful in the dx of Lupus?

My results came back very high and I have tried to google and understand what it means but I just can not comprehend it. Guess it is brain fog...:blush:

As always, thank you so much for always being so helpful and supportive.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Karol,

This test isn't related to lupus, but to APS.
It is the standard test used to measure the "lupus anticoagulant" .There are a few other methdod,but this is the most common one to my knowledge.
Basically it is a clotting study.They add snake venom from the russell viper to blood in a vial. Normally it clots in a jiffy but in people with the lupus anticoagulant it doesn't,thus the number of an abnormal result is high (longer clotting time).This is confusing, because in the body the opposite happens - the blood clots too easily.

I've oversimplified this rather so feel free to get more technical, but essentially this is it.

X C X

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cath.

I appreciate you making it simple.

I understand it pretty well now.:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have no idea about dRVVT levels but abnormal results might figure in the diagnosis of lupus, associated or not with high levels of anticardiolipin antibodies. They both have to do with the antiphospholipid antibodies
There are several tests for so called Lupus Anticoagulant - the dilute Russel Viper Venom time is only one of them.

The presence of these antibodies would lead to a diagnosis of Antiphospholipid Syndrome
(APS) only if there have been associated clotting incidents. The sort of statistic I have read is that about one third of those with lupus have these antibodies but only one third of those actually suffer from them

Both the LA tests and tests for anti cardiolipins should be done twice at the same time because levels can vary. The interval between testings is given from between at least 6 weeks to 12 weeks.

From ACR Criteria List
Immunologic disorder
a) Anti- ds-DNA: antibody to native DNA in abnormal titer
OR
B) Anti-Sm: presence of antibody to Sm nuclear antigen
OR
c) False positive serologic test for syphilis known to be positive for at least 6 months and confirmed by Treponema pallidum immobilization or fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption test
d) Positive finding of antiphospholipid antibodies based on 1) an abnormal serum level of IgG or IgM anticardiolipin antibodies, 2) a positive test result for lupus anticoagulant using a standard method, or 3) a false-positive serologic test for syphilis known to be positive for at least 6 months and confirmed by Treponema pallidum immobilization or fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption tes
:)
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clare,

Thanks for taking the time to type all of this and explain it even further to me.

It is very helpful and clear to me now.

Thanks again.:wink2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts