TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I'm scheduled to get plugs put in my tear ducts to help my dry eyes. Has anyone else had this done? Did it work? Can you feel them?
Thanks ,Kate

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I had it done, it did help. The doctor could see an improvement in my eyes under the microscope & I noticed an improvement. I ended up getting two plugs in each eye after putting 1 in each bottom lid was not enough. ;) It doesn't hurt getting them put in either, although the ones I had in my top lid were harder/took longer to get in. You might notice them at first, but then you won't notice them at all.

My problem was they kept popping out. So be very careful rubbing your eyes (that can make them pop out), even putting makeup on must move them out sometimes; although most of the time I'd just realize one was out and had no idea why it came out!

Eventually I moved onto Restasis and that produced a much bigger improvement for me. The Plaquenil must have helped after a few years time because now I don't need much beyond some over the counter tears and gel to keep them feeling OK. They are still dry, but nowhere near as dry as they once were.

Good luck - I hope they help you a lot!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Kate,

I too have problems with dry eyes. I never got the plugs but I do use medications. I have eye drops, Panatol and I take Exovac which helps produce saliva and I have noticed my eyes are not as dry as well. I use the drops as needed and I take the med three times a day. You might ask your physician and them if you are leery about the plugs.

Nancy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts